Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend came up with a ton of military brass to de prime. it is swaged in primers and pretty tough to get out. I have seen depriming tools just for this purpose but for the life of nme I cant find the maker.
Dopes anyone out ther know waht I am looking for?? :confused:

Please help the old man that is losing his mind.

thank you,
T.D.C.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I think there are several options for the primer pocket, but the one I prefer is the Dillon Swager.

Google Dillon Reloading and look on their site for the swager. You will need to deprime with either a sizing die with a depriming pin or a depriming die. Either of these is available from the die makers, Redding, RCBS, etc.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
As Grey Fox said, you must swedge the primer pockets befor you reload these cases. Getting the primers out is just the start. You will need a good heavy single stage press minimum to do the job. You can then buy a universial deprimer die and the tool to swedge the pockets. The cases may have been cheap, but you will earn them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Military brass

I size and deprime just as I would normally do. Then use a RCBS Swager die to remove the crimp. I don't know if this is the "approved" method of doing this or not but it has worked for me. The primers pop out just like they would on regular brass and the Swager then removes the crimp. It just adds one extra step to the brass prep process and Swaging each piece of brass takes about as long to do as sizing the brass.
Also, I always use a small base die on military brass.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I follow the same procedure as Floyd; I rarely have any problems decapping except with LC .38 Special and foreign 7.62 NATO brass. Some of that stuff has a REAL good crimp on the primers! I usually pitch the odd foreign case that I encounter because they tend to be much thicker than US made brass.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check RCBS and Lee....

I had to deprime over 1000 pieces of military brass once. Simple tool, just an anvil and heavy duty pin. Course.. you have to supply your own hammer.

I have mine buried away otherwise I'd offer it up.:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've deprimed huge quantities of military brass, my specialized tool is a Lee Universal Decapping die, never a problem with that.

I used the RCBS primer pocket swager for many years and lots of frustration, after hearing huge quantities of favorable reports on the Dillon Super Swage, I finally broke down about a year ago and got one, I've been kicking myself ever since! :mad:

Why in the heck did I wait so long? The Dillon Super Swage is expensive, but it works far faster and is far more effective than the RCBS kit, it's kinda expensive...but it's worth it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have a bunch you can send it off to get deprimed-swadged-sized, some guys use still use RVO.

Ive deprimed over 500 of the LC just using my regular FL die with no problem. When you are doing large quantities of brass, extra steps in the process really suck.

Sinclair sells a drill attachment for your deburring tool that is handy taking care of the primer pocket crimp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts