Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't found any site on the net for it, but heard some guy's talking about it for chucks. Necking down 6.5 x 55 Lapua brass to 6mm and shooting a 95gr bullet at about 3800 fps. Or was I asleep dreaming this? Need any more info, that is the extent of what I heard.....

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
just think what it would do with a 58 Gr Vmax!

man that's a HOT round! Probably push 55's in the neighborhood of 4200 fps or more. Sounds really overbore, but I like it! I don't think the barrel would last long but it sure would shoot like a laser!

Charlie

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I used QuickDesign to draw the cartridge, then used Shockwave/Quickload to try some load data. Quickdesign showed a case capacity of 58.1 grains of water. Using that info I couldn't get anywhere near 3800 fps. Quickload shows a SAAMI MAP (maximum average pressure) of 55,114 psi. Using a 90 Berger it's showing a velocity of 3367 using 53.3 (compressed) of RE-25. Pressure is 53,094psi. Data was for a 26" barrel.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I used QuickDesign to draw the cartridge, then used Shockwave/Quickload to try some load data. Quickdesign showed a case capacity of 58.1 grains of water. Using that info I couldn't get anywhere near 3800 fps. Quickload shows a SAAMI MAP (maximum average pressure) of 55,114 psi. Using a 90 Berger it's showing a velocity of 3367 using 53.3 (compressed) of RE-25. Pressure is 53,094psi

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
In PO Ackley's book it is call a 6mm Arch. All they show is a 60gr bullet 53.5 gr of IMR 4320 @ 4291 fps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
6mm remington

Remington makes a 6mm remington. This is a 6x57 or a 257 roberts necked down. I don't realy see any need to make something 2mm shorter unless you realy need to be unique. I own a factory 6mm Remington varmint rifle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You are talking about the 6mm Vais.

George Vais developed the 224 and 6mm Vais along with his muzzlebrake in the late 90's. He retired and sold his business to Ron Barlett. You can check out some articles on Ron's website.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/articles.htm

I have a 6mm Vais and can shoot the 107's at 3200fps without pushing hard. :cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guy's , guess it was a dream...nt

Knew it too good to be true...

·
Registered
407 Posts
6mm Arch (Ackley)

Agree with Jim, very little is new in the world of wildcats.

PO Ackley described the 6mm Arch in Volume 1 on page 311.

It's also listed in John J. Donnelly's "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" on page 710. Donnelly credits Mr. Ackley as the source of information about the cartridge. It's made from the 6.5X55 Swedish case, full length sized in the Arch die, trimmed and chamfered.

Donnelly suggests using light loads to finish forming, which seems interesting to say the least. Afraid I'd have to really think hard about that before trying it, especially with a case that large.

Overall cartridge length is listed by Donnelly as 2.165, the only load listed is with a 60gr bullet. The case capacity (grains of water) is 61.37.

The one I've had my eye on for years is on the next page, called the 6mm Atlas, based on the 264 Win Mag (I have lots of 7mmRemMag brass). It has a case capacity of over 80gr water. Maybe when I hit the powerball lottery..................

·
Registered
460 Posts
Be careful

In PO Ackley's book it is call a 6mm Arch. All they show is a 60gr bullet 53.5 gr of IMR 4320 @ 4291 fps!
I was told by an instructor at the school where PO Ackley did a lot of his works that Ackley's book had a lot of theoretical cartridges in it that were never actually tested. I can't speak for that individual cartridge either way, but a 6mm-284 with a 55gn bullet barely gets close to that velocity per a couple of recipes on Reloaders nest. The 6mm-284 is a known barrel burner, so if the 6mm Arch achieves 4291 fps, I wouldn't think one could speak too well for the life of that barrel.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Barrel life?

Such cartridges are overbore, inefficient, wasteful, etc., etc., and yes barrel life will likely be shorter than it would be with a more efficient cartridge.

Expect the net effect is kind of like a high temperature sandblasting of the throat each time a round is fired (gives you a new respect for your barrel steel, doesn't it?).

But, it might be fun while it lasts. With careful cleaning and letting the barrel cool between shots, who knows how long a barrel would last? Might be fun to find out. But what if you barely get your first load developed for it and then find out you need to replace the barrel? Gut-wrenching call.

And some people drive Ferraris (I've heard).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Donnelly lists the shoulder angle (degrees/side) as 42.45 for the 6mm Arch.
The case body angle (degrees/side) is listed as .512.
Head diameter is shown as .476.
Shoulder diameter is shown as .448.
Length to shoulder is shown as 1.765.
OAL is shown as 2.165.
Neck length is shown as .300.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
6mm Arch Ackley Imp......I can only get 60.7 case capacity, but with that and a 90 Speer SP over 54.9 Re-25 you get 3396fps with a 26" barrel. This according to Quickload, which is usually pretty close. Pretty good cartridge. Slightly more overbore than a .17 Remington. Load it up with 55.3 grains of RE-22 under a 70 SpeerTNT and you can get almost 3,700fps.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I just had a .22-6mm built, got it in Dec. so I have not had alot of good weather to play with it, but believe the .22-6mm is a better varment round than the 6 mm your talking about. I`m getting over 3,500 fps. with an 80 gr. bullet with what I`ve tried so far. The BC on the 80 gr bullets I`m useing is .420 where the BC of the 90 gr. Serria is .387. Wind drift should be alittle less with the .22 cal. 80 grner. too. Powder efficiency would be better with the 6mm round though. Of course there is not a varment in the countray that could tell the difference if hit with both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.