Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my old Jansport packframe leaning on the tire of the Dodge last year, and it got bent. I've been using it, but thinking I need a new frame of some kind. I don't need a new pack.....I like my military Alice pack just fine. Any Backpack experts here that can point me in the right direction? I'm not looking to pack huge loads...maybe 50 LBs max, but occasionally more.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you are using an Alice pack.....

why not use the associated frame made for it? Humped one of them all over the world, worked fine for me.

But it you looking for something different, try this link.

http://www.campmor.com

Hope it works.

Mortis

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well now...let me see.....

eBay often has pack frames for the Alice pack. You just need to be sure which size Alice you have. Medium or Large. Also many of the Surplus sites online have them.

At one time I had maybe 30 Surplus/Survival sites listed, but having changed computers, those are long gone and have had no need to go back and research them.

I'm trying to remember if any of the sites were in Idaho. Cannot remember that far back at the moment.

You might try SurvivalMonkey.Com, see if any of those folks have a location at their fingertips.

If I come up with anything handy, I'll either tag it to this thread or alert you via another thread.

And sorry about not catching what you was looking for. Sometimes the written language is more confusing then the spoken version. :D

Mortis

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got that right...LOL. I was hoping, with the advent of more modern materials and design, that there would be some more advanced frames out there. I know that lots of people prefer the internal framed packs, but I like being able to remove the pack and just use the frame, when needed. I may have to find a backpacking board and ask there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here's an idea.......

Make your own.

Seriously, the plans for a backboard is in the old Boy Scout manuals. Also it can be found in nearly every Survival book I've seen.

I'll try to dig out the diagrams and verbage on construction of a backboard for you.

Now to remember which box in storage has all those type manuals and books.

Mortis

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Try over at Army Surplus Warehouse in Idaho Falls.
They don't list the alice with frame on thier website right now, but when I was over there (not sure how long ago month(s)) they had complete alice packs with frames. I still have an old Camp Trails external that I use for heavy hauling, and I have it on good authority that there is an internal frame daypack under the Christmas Tree right now! LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got a used Camp Trails external frame pack years ago. The bag was worn out with heavy use and blood rot. I've replaced the bag twice and the frame is still good. Cabelas used to sell them. I think they just put their name brand on them now.

I also have a large Alice frame pack. It's too small for packing animals out.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kyle.....that's the sort of info I was looking for. Usually I skin the critters so don't have to pack out whole animals. If I geta lion, I may want to pack out the entire animal depending on how big it is, and how far it is to the outfit. I was afraid the military frames would be too small. I wonder if the model that Cabelas sells as the "Alaskan" is made by Camp Trails?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts