Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I hope you are settling in to the coming fall and all are doing well. I am now living up in New Hampshire and by chance living a very gun friendly condo building, opposite of my old place around Seattle.

Also, I just expanded my permission where the land owner will let me go after all game. He said the woodcock are especially good on his property and wouldn’t mind the coyote population reduced. However, he like the idea of a silenced 22 cal and 30 cal barrel kid pcp air rifle I will have coming towards the Oct from Spain. Won’t wake up the neighbors when I do some night hunting.

Anyways, I got some extra cash and I want a decent over and under shotgun. Budget to start is $1000 to $1500, good entry level for a decent quality piece. Spec, 20 gauge with a 26” barrel. I have good things about the Franchi Instinct L https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/franchi-instinct-l-overunder-shotgun and the CZ Redhead Premier. I would prefer auto ejectors too. I have always wanted an over and under 20 gauge for the thick wood hunting.

So please give my your feedback. Also, I am planning on a CZ one of these :D StackPath

After years in Europe I am expanding my firearms collection, so far 3 this year. :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The whole family here likes and uses the Ruger Red Labels. We have about 7 of them 12’s, 20’s and 28’s. If you can find a used one, they will run about 1500-1800. They are by far the smoothest handling O/U’s I have ever used.

·
Administrator
13,671 Posts
I really hate to disagree with Bruce, but we won't sell the new red labels. Too many headaches. Maybe find a good used OLD one.

Cz makes some really nice stuff that's under budget. Browning and Franchi too, but probably on the high end.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Pick up a used Browning Citori that isn't shot to death if it fits . I've had some nice shotguns over the years I find myself picking up a nice old Citori one reason they fit me another is it's a good gun for the bucks . You can pick up a nice Citori in that price range. Should be a few out there in 26" barrels I personally like a minimum of 28" in O/U . And 26" in my autos .

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
All of ours are old ones… I didn’t even know they still made them

Reactions: george in KY

·
Registered
16 Posts
I shot a Valmet for many years, it always gave journeyman service. It was nicely balanced and had a great trigger.
I don't think they are quite as pricey as the selections you mentioned, but if you get a chance to get, you wouldn't go wrong.
Thor

·
Administrator
4,520 Posts
As far as I know the Ruger Red Labels are no longer made and haven't been for a few years. Ruger has always been very good about standing behind their guns when there was a problem though. The best one was the 28ga, everyone complained about the 12 and 20ga were too heavy. The Franchi's and CZs are both good also the Citori's. Good ones to look for in the used gun market are the SKB 500 and 600's and also Win 101's. You can take my word for it when hunting woodcock, you are a lot better off with 26" barrels. A lot of people want 28" barrels on a double as they smooth out the swing and are all the fad in doubles.

·
Administrator
13,671 Posts
They started making Red Labels again, maybe 10 years ago after a long hiatus. THEY WERE JUNK. They had issues not firing. Friend bought one from our shop, we sent it back 3x and they couldn't fix it. They quit making them again and had no parts to even try to. Almost lost a friend over it. So...buyer beware. I don't recall the dates but defintely within the 2010's. We sold 4-5 of the "new" ones during that period and they all had issues.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I like doubles, I just don’t like to carry them. Last Citori I had weighed 40 pounds after lunch. I swear the thing gained weight like my ex wife.
LOL JSH , I love doubles Sunset Doubles . My shotguns I likem tall and heavy 😜. Rifle chambers the short and fat🤪. Never hunted woodcock and never will . I can possibly see benefits for short barrels for that . I've owned some very rare shotguns over the years and I have found the Browning's fit my nitch in fit and don't break the bank . Find a shotgun that fits and shoots how you want it to.
My hunting guns are autos 1 extra shell which I need as many as I can get. The M2 Benelli are super lite . Thanks Jesse Briley for the forend weights To me a ill fitting gun is only good to look at or leave in the gun safe.
HHH

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Agree with HHH on that. Find one that fits you. I always liked the looks of the Brownings. Have had 2-3 over the years and they Just felt like I was getting slapped when I shot it. For some reason the sticks just didn’t feel right to me. Started using the old SKB 500 and 600 12 gauges and really liked them. I had a chance to use a red label and loved it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I never thought much about fit of a shotgun till 25+ years ago was in a shop with a trap shooting buddy. I was kinda sorta looking for a trap gun. SKB or Benelli rep was there. He had all the stuff to measure one up for you. We had a couple of Model 12’s sorted out. One has drop dead gorgeous Birdseye Maple after market wood on it that I was partial too. The rep measured me and measured the Model 12 a half dozen different ways. His comment was I would have to spend a chunk to find and have one built that fit me as good as that one.
Gent at the shop knocked off $150 and kicked in a case of trap loads. That put me over the top onto it.
First night out the gate no practice 3 25x25’s straight, forth one the wind was crazy and shot under the first bird for a 24x25. That sold me on fit for a shotgun. Lol have shot several 25x25’s since but not close to the magic 100.

The fellows I hung with back then, if you didn’t own at least one Model 12 and at least one 1911, you were looked down on as much as a Democrat, lol.

·
Administrator
4,520 Posts
Mod 12's and 870 Wingmasters use to be the go-to gun for trap, I shot an 870 TC Grade along with a BT99. Another popular was the "Broadway" Browning. Yes, the Citori's were always a heavy gun.

I have owned a few SxS's in my time along with SKB 500 and 600's and now own only one, my Uncle Jack's Ithaca Flues 20ga that I started my passion of grouse and woodcock hunting with. I haven't shot it in years since inheriting it. I have always done most of my hunting with Rem 870 Wingmasters, I own and use three of them now.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I’ve never owned an O/U but when I was a kid, Dad had a friend whose spare trap gun was an SKB 700 with a Broadway rib. He would let me shoot it, whenever I tagged along and I shot it well. I haven’t seen one in decades but I would like to see if they are still the awesome gun that I thought they were back then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts