Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded for a Weatherby Mark V Special Varmint in .22-250. While visiting a local shop and browsing the used gun rack I noticed a small rifle in the corner. When I asked to see it I discovered it was an older Kimber of Oregon 84 Classic in .222. The rifle looked like new. Asking price was $750. I don't have the cash but do have the Weatherby as trading material. What would you guys do and why one over the other?
Thanks for the help.
Dave in TX

·
Registered
488 Posts
Both are very nice rifles. My decision would rest with the purpose. The 22/250 will give you the extra range and better trajectory if that is what you need. The Kimber 222 is easier on recoil and barrel life. :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree with Fred.... I would stick with the Weatherby, unless you just cannot live without the Kimber..

Dave

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Kimber

I'll buck the trend. If the Kimber were a sporter weight in a trim reasonably light weight package, I trade off. That type of rifle fits my hunting style better than the heavy varmint Weatherby, and I like the looks of Kimber rifles better than Weatherbys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with Fred also, especially if you hand load. Mild 22-250 loads are extremely accurate and barrel friendly. You can turn up the speed when needed. Here is one of my light loads. This is slightly better than average but 1/4 moa is very achievable with the right load, rifle combo in 22-250. Faster loads for me tend to open up groups. YMMV

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I dont see the problem......

Now if your Weatherby was chambered in 222...THEN you'd have a problem....:D :D

But seriously, it all lies in what you want or if the caliber will be enough for you, to make the trade.

The 222 will kill any varmint out to 270 yards, cleanly. (and some well beyond that)

If Kimber of America (not Oregon) offered their SuperAmerica in 222, I would be writing a check today.

·
Registered
811 Posts
22-250 is much more versatile for varmints...

You can load a plethera of loads from 40 gr. up to 70 gr. The 22-250 is a great long range load and suitable for small thin skinned varmints. Good luck!

·
Registered
826 Posts
The answer is easy.........

just pull out a credit card and buy the 222 Kimber, the payment will be $40 a month...I don't think that you will regreat buying that gun.

All that stress over which gun to have can cause you serious health problems including high blood pressure which can leade to a stroke. So, don't waste any time, go and buy the gun right away!

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decision made

Well, it seems that someone else made the decision for me. Went to the shop today and the Kimber was gone. It went the same day I looked at it. Oh well.
Thanks for all the replies.
Dave in TX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts