Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for 22/250 and 243 loads. I don't load any mag calibers anymore. That leaves me with a lot primers, to find other loads for. The two calibers that get most of my reloading time are, 224 and 243 (6mm). In 224, 40gr to 60gr bullets, in 243, 55gr to 72gr bullets. The primer choices are, CCI 250, Rem 91/2 and Fed 215. My thanks, to anyone for suggestions on loads using mag primers, for these calibers.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!!!

Thanks, Hank

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mag primers

Hank, My Hodgens manual says that Mag primers are recommended for some spherical powders. Might want to do some investigating in that area. May be too hot for summer shooting. Darrel

·
Registered
269 Posts
You can use them........ctxt

You can use them to load any standard caliber (except Hornet, but we won't open that can of worms now...) just adjust you powder charge accordingly. I use mag's in my 22-250 with IMR4064. I just reworked the load and they are fine, matter of fact I've used them in a lot of loads. The local shop had a sale on them at a rediculious price at one time and I stocked up! In some instances you don't even need to adjust the powder charge but it's always wise to back it off a little and start over.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would suggest against using mag primers in these small cases , I don't even use mag primers in some mag case using less than 65grs of powder unless its a realy slow powder.
the use of mag primers in these small cases will generaly give you some huge velocity differance and ES reading also someitmes to hot of primmers will give a false pressure reading in you case.

Primers a realy cheap considering how many you get in a case , the shipping is what usualy gets you with the $20 haz charge

I use Federal 210M and CCI BR2 for about everything but some of my bigger mags like 300Win and up then I step up to the 215M

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well, now you have two opposing opinions.

I'd go with the "doesn't hurt, but work up again" crowd. If you've never tried H380, now's a great time for that, too. H380 is one of those powders that seem to perk up better with a mag primer, and it's a classic in the .22-250 as well.

Or, maybe you could trade them to a buddy whose cartridges wear belts.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mag. primers

I've used Mag primers in a 243 and a 243AI. with W-760, AA 2700, H-414&
H-380 with NO problems. Adjust lthe load accordingly. I had an old Savage 110 E that would soot the case no matter what powder w/ a standard primer. I then switched to a Magnum primer and it took care of that, been trying Magnums ever since. I don't have any exp. using them in a 22-250, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Just be careful. Enjoy! Merry Christmas! Sam

·
Registered
66 Posts
I go with the suggestion of go a head and use them just back off on the powder a little. In one case I only backed off .2 and got better velocity, better accuracy and less pressure!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry Samson.......

I strongly disagree with the suggestion that you will greatly increase the SD and ES of your loads using magnum primers. There's just nothing to back that up sir. There are many instances where using a hotter primer has indeed shrunk groups considerably, mainly because of more even ignition, even in what we would all consider medium to smallish capacity cases. Sometimes groups shrink, sometimes they enlarge but a hot primer in many loads can yield better accuracy.

No disrespect meant sir, and have a Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Some books recommend using them

Hank, if you use AA2460 , or 2520, or H380, H335, or either W748 or 760, or H414 or you may find they help get you a more complete, and even burn, and possibly better accuracy. Speers reload manual #13 refers to using CCI-250 mag. primers in many of their load data

They helped me, when using W-748 in the 257 Roberts case, quite a bit. Not sure if you are using any of these powders already, but I would try reducing your current loads, and working with them in either your 22-250 or 243 and see if you notice any improvement.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
826 Posts
You just never know........

It's a real SOB trying to make a particular component work....kinda like taking a ball pien hammer to your head to cure a headache.

I have found that cci250's work well in a 243 using 760 and 2700 with the
70's.

Also, in a 243 using 4064, it seems like many barrels that I have had prefer the fed 210's using the 70 & 80g bullets.

You are just going to have to try your loads and see what happens.

The cci-250 is the mildest of the Mag primers with the Rem 9 1/2 M not being worth a crap for anything except to give them to someone that you dispise.

Merry Christmas!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts