Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably headed out to Vegas (I'm in PA) in late Feb. to visit my brother. He's there a few months working, and I'm interested in the possibilities of coyote/varmint hunting in general. I (being an Easterner!) am assuming that coyotes would be about all there is to go after out there right now (I guess no PD's, ground squirrels, etc. in that neck of the woods in Feb., right? Or ever?). Just ideas would be appreciated if we would have the time - I can see Vegas wearing on me in a couple of days or so - I don't gamble and I'm not much for "shows"! We don't have a firm date set yet, so any outdoor actvities (or other must-see's) would be appreciated. Thinking of flying over the Canyon and the Dam for starters. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not sure about coyotes for hunting, but I do know about Coyote Ugly at NY NY. You can't even begin to hear yourself think in that place, although the scenery is not to bad.
There is a neat gun shop not far off the strip where you can shoot full auto guns if your into that. Another must do/see activity is dinner at the Rio, they have one of the best seafood buffets going, you name it, they got it. We go there every time we visit sin city.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nevada does require a license to hunt coyotes. Not sure of the current prices and such, but they do have a website. Arizona is close, and Utah (no license needed) is just over an hour north. Plenty of coyotes in every direction.

California is close, too. But I assume you want to stay within the United States.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Vegas in February.....

Weather should be great for sure...lots of stuff to do w/o gambling...eat...eat..eat....! Google a seach for activities....gun ranges...full autos..sporting clays...4x4 trails....atv's......etc...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Coyotes are open in Nevada

No license is required, last I checked. :)

http://ndow.org/hunt/seasons/fur/coyote.shtm

But Bobcats are closed to non-residents.

Sorry, though.... I cant help much with hunt info in the Vegas area.

·
Registered
43 Posts
an airline located at the north las vegas airport would be my choice for a tour
of the canyon and surrounding area, for prices and info give them a call (free)
SCENIC AIRLINES
800-643-6801
lindy

·
Registered
12 Posts
you don't need a licensce for coyotes in nevada. I went to a place called walker river ranch last year i don't remember the town it was in but you can google it to find. Lot's of land to call. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
DAA, at one time, you needed a Nevada license to shoot coyotes, jackrabbits or ground squirrels - or so I thought. Am I wrong? (Wouldn't be the first time!)
Nope, never have needed a license for varmints in Nevada. Except, as noted above, for commericial fur taking. Also, no cats for non-residents, even if you do buy the license for fur taking.

Maybe you are thinking of Idaho. A non-resident non-game license is needed there to shoot varmints. It's only good Jan. - Aug. though. Just bought mine a few weeks ago. You need a regular non-resident hunting license to shoot varmints the rest of the year.

- DAA

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nope, I knew about Idaho; have bought licenses there for years.

But was flat-butt wrong about Nevada, I guess. Guess now I don't have to feel guilty about all those times I'd stop to stretch my legs in Star Valley and just happen to find a 10/22 in my hands and squirrels running everywhere!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nevada Trip

No hunting license is required for coyotes or Blacktailed jackrabbits. Ground squirrels will not be out at that time of year. As DAA mentioned if you are going to skin coyotes and sell fur then a trapping permit is required and skins need to be sealed by NDOW. I believe DAA also mentioned that bobcats are closed to non-residents. Several gun ranges around town as well as indoor ranges. American Shooters is on Arville just off Flamingo. Also have a store on Boulder Hwy in Henderson. The Gun Store is on Tropicana just south of Eastern. The best gunstore is in Henderson on Basic called Spurlocks Guns. If you have the time and just want to shoot some ammo let me know and we can get together and go out to the Boulder City range.........Roy

·
Registered
21 Posts
about the only thing i can add is to make sure of where you are at and if it is legal to shoot. my son lives there and believe it or not he says that you really have to go a long ways before it is legal to shoot anymore. i think it is because the actual city limits extend quite a ways from the actual "city"

·
Registered
60 Posts
John in CA is right................

You don't need a license for coyotes in NV unless you sell them. My in-laws spend the winter in Overton which is close to Vegas. Northeast a bit. They have coyotes hanging around their campfire at night. Don't know about AZ but I am from northern Utah and there is alot of desert and coyotes in the southern part.
Good luck and let us know how you do,
Kirk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.