Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pick it for me a FAST 22cal 308 bolt face. to shoot 75-80gr bullet's it will be a 8 or 9 twist Rockcreek barrel . ....i'm thinking 22-250AI 22 dasher 22-6.5x47 Lapua ...OR???????? barrel life is a factor :eek:

·
Registered
243 Posts
George, the standard 22-250 is not real easy on barrels and I doubt any of these would be much better----plus----the heavier bullets will contribute to even faster throat erosion.

With all that James has done with the Dasher, it would be hard to ignore it.

I've never owned a 22-250 AI but after many years of shooting the standard 22-250, I'm beginning to think all 22-250's should be improved.

The 6.5 Lapua cases should be a big help if you wanted something that shoots hot loads.

I figure any of these rounds will eat throat-----might as well accept that fact and build what you'd like to have.

Any ideas on a good 75 or 80 gr bullet that would be a good coyote stopper ?

A. Weldy

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Don`t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the .22-250 AI, and I love Wildcatting, but there are a few things to consider when building one. What are you after, a faster .22 cal. rifle? Well the rule of thumb is you get an increase in velosity that is equal to 1/2 the % increase in case volume, at the same presures. This holds pretty well true untill you get to cases which are already large for the cal, some times called over bore rounds. The .22-250 is over bore or very near it so what we get will be alittle less than the rule of thumb. The 250 AI icase is 5% larger than the standerd 250 case so your velosity increase should be abt. 2 1/2%. If your pushing a 55 gr. bullet at 3,600 fps. with a 250 case the best you will do, at the same presures, is abt. 3,700 fps. A 100 fps. increase will get you another 5 yrds. max point blank range. All of this is of course on paper and you will never be able to tell the difference in the field. Another thing to rember is that the when you have a Wildcat rifle for sale the only people that will look at it are those who reload and alot of them will not, makeing it alot harder to sell. If your are really worried about barrel life get a .222. I`ve seen them with many 1,000`s of rounds through them and still driveing tacks. I just had a long range .22 cal. rifle built. Mine is on the 6 mm Rem. case. I`m pushing the Serria 80 gr. bullet over 3,500 fps. Is it a barrel burner? sure, but I bought it to shoot coyotes at very long ranges and am not planning on takeing it to the range every weekend or takeing it PD shooting. After talking to the smith, who has put several of these together, I figure I should get close to 2,000 rounds through it befor I start looseing accuracy and when I do I can have the barrel set back and rechamber it and get close to that many more rounds through it without the cost of a new barrel. Just some things for you to think abt. befor you build you new gun.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
All you mentioned are good rounds....

but, so is the 22-243....and it works great in the repeating mode (fast followup shot working the bolt). I "have had" my 22-250 AI stick up a couple of times. Son claims he has never had this problem with his 22-243 8 twist. Also, have had the 22 dasher in the rem 788 stick up a couple of times. Just food for thought. BUT, I still wouldn't take for either of them ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
pick it for me a FAST 22cal 308 bolt face. to shoot 75-80gr bullet's it will be a 8 or 9 twist Rockcreek barrel . ....i'm thinking 22-250AI 22 dasher 22-6.5x47 Lapua ...OR???????? barrel life is a factor :eek:
George,

What's the case capacity (grns wtr) of the 22-6.5x47 Lapua Match? That 22-6.5x47 Lapua sounds mighty interesting in a fast twist. Maybe it's close to the 22 Dasher but with a little more neck length?

·
Registered
13,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hummmm

I figure I should get close to 2,000 rounds through it befor I start looseing accuracy and when I do I can have the barrel set back and rechamber it and get close to that many more rounds through it without the cost of a new barrel. Just some things for you to think abt. befor you build you new gun.[/QUOTE]

an't no way to get 2000 rounds out of a 22-6mmREM with out a big lose in accuracy....if ya could i would do that....i think the 22-243 that bruce was taking about may be the best idea for repeter or single shot for that matter.

·
Registered
826 Posts
George there is a big difference in a target and hunting round.....

for crows and yotes, you usually get one shot and one shot only. A 22 Dasher with it's extreme accuracy has the trajectory of a rainbow...not good for a hunting round when animals present themselves at unknown yardages where you have to take a shot and pray that you have done your homework.

You need a flat shooting round period that has a little wind bucking. Personally, I would opt for a 243 AI with a 30" barrel and shoot the 70's at 4050 fps...much better barrel life over a tight screwed 22 caliber. The 244 AI will shoot the 70's at 4200+ in a 30" barrel and you will never have to full length size the cases. I doubt if you will be shooting much on the other side of 550 will you?

Now, if you have your head in a vise concerning a 22 caliber here is what I experienced on a 22/250 AI. In a Hart 27", minimum spec chamber, I got the 60g Berger at 3700 fps with extreme accuracy (43.0g of Win 760, max load). This bullet put down coyotes hard blowing fairly sizable holes in them to boot. I shot the 55's at 4175 (45.5g of Win 760)out of the same rifle and did not have to FL size the brass. The bad thing about a lot of the heavier bullets in 22 Cal is that they will be prone to not expand at all when you get to the other side of 350.

If you had the nabs for a round hotter than a 22/250 AI, then a 22/243 would be the only way to go. A 60g VMax would be a great bullet to use on yotes or crows in a 12 twist barrel.

If you order your own reamer, you will be able to set the chamber back every 1200-1500 rounds. Now if you want to set the chamber back, then the smallest bbl countour that you should order is the Max Heavy Varmint that has 6 inches of straight. Choose a gunsmith that has a set of graduated pilots where he can measure the throat wear, that will tell you how much to cut off. Pilots are graduated in 0.0002 increments. Rarely do you have to cut off more than 3/4"-1" when measuring the wear with pilots. Accuracy goes right back to shooting like a brand new rifle in my experience. We often set ours back after every or every other dog trip. Worst case that I saw was where we got on a virgin dog town and the dogs just would not go down from all the shooting. We killed over 1100 in an afternoon and never moved the truck. We worked out Hart bbls hard that afternoon keeping them very hot. I had to cut 2" off a barrel that was on it's second chamber. The bbl ended up 27" long after it's second re-chamber.

When you have one shot and one shot only, speed is key. I miss way more due to trajectory vs wind. Hit a yote low center of mass and you will loose them every time...they have one heck of a will to live.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
20-250???????

Hey George, I know you said 22 cal, but have you thought maybe smaller, faster, meaner. I saw an article in the varmint hunter, this guy had built a 20-250 that was layin the smack down pretty good. Don't know much about this critter accept they were really strokin it in that story. Kinda seems to me like a 204 on roids. Only thing is I'm sure it's hard on barrels, but how long do you usally hang on to a toy anyway?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.