Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Western powders loading book ,shooting the 40gr Sierra BK in front of AA-2700 powder range from 42.3-47.0 . gonna test out loads tomorrow in NV desert Spring weather. These loads our for prairie dogs in MY June 1st. If my rifle likes 45+grs willl I be blowing primers in MT ? That happened with Re#16 in my 6mm Creedmoor.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I have found THEE powder for my Swifts has been N550 and a Fed 210M primer.

Work up you own load, but 41.x ± gets me 3850 fps w/ a 55gn V-max or Nosler BT (<1/2 moa with the Noslers, a wee bit more w/ the V-Max from my 26" varmint weight, SS Hart bbl.)

My longest one-shot PD was at just over 700 yards with a 55 gn V-Max pill. And, when I put the cross hairs on a 550 yard PD, standing on a mound there was a strand of barbed wire running across his chest at exactly my point of aim. I figured the chances of hitting that wire from that distance instead of the PD were slim to none. I was wrong!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
My Swift also likes the 55gr Vmax with IMR 4320, but I have some loaded to try with AA2700 also. Can't remember the exact load without going down and digging out the load notebook, but it was around 3800fps and was okay in 105°F temps. The rifle is a Savage BVSS-S and the longest PD was 623yds, and still got aerial aerobics.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shot today

Shot 3 different charges 44.0 45.0 46.0 all 3 were very accurate ,46grs showed
beginning pressure signs. My loads for Montana will be 45grs of AA-2700 40gr Sierra Blizts king . Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I have a load that was developed by HSC for the .220 Swift. I picked up some HSC at a gun show with the intent to collect brass. There were once fired and some full cases. It shot very well. It bested my loads that I worked on for 2 years. It is a consistent 1 moa or a bit more. Certainly good for my uses of minute of woodchuck. I called HSC to purchase 10 boxes but learned they discontinued. I asked for the load and once I provided the lot number they gave it to me. That is VERY unusual. Calhoon told me he couild not keep up the production of the bullets to meet HSC deemands so they went elsewhere. It is 42 grains of Western Hunter with a double hollow point from James Calhoon. The bullet is a 50 grain double hollow point and has a slivery coating that Calhoon told me it was not a lubricant or teflon or boron. You have to keep them at or below 3750 fps or risk them coming apart.
There are no pass throughs on a woodchuck. The projectiles were very reasonable, as I recall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like VV N-550 but 2000 MR has value

I have a cartridge I call the .224 Nisqually. It has the same volume as the Swift and Swift data is interchangeable with the Nisqually. The Nisqually has a 40 degree shoulder, not "semi-rimmed" and I have both large and small rifle primer pockets available because I can use 6.5X47 Lapua brass or shortened .22-250 cases.

Anyway, I have worn out one Nisqually barrel and I am protecting the 10 twist one on it now. I nitrocarburize all barrels and HBN coat the bullets. No naked bullets!

VV N-550 worked well for me with 55gr B-tips on one ground squirrel expedition. The down side is that N-550, with the extra Nitro-gylcerine, is a flame thrower. Now I use 2000MR which is made to burn at a much cooler temperature. It has the same NitroChem Swiss designer that brought us Reloader 17 so it has some zoom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts