Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa just brought me a Rem 700 25-06 BDL. I reload this caliber and how should i break it in? Shoot factory first before reloads? And how should a gun be broken-in as a general rule. Thanks Brent

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try a search on barrel break in

There used to be info in our tech section but I don't think it has been restored yet. Google - "barrel break in" and you can read for weeks.

I think the main thing is to get a good bore guide and a 1 piece coated rod before you start. I did 1 shot and clean for a few rounds, 3 shots and clean for a few more. Use a good solvent like Butch's and you'll be in fine shape.

I'd put it on paper while breaking it in and shoot whatever loads you plan on using.

I am no expert and I'm sure others will chime in if I am off base.

Have fun,
Dave

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Be sure to clean the barrel before the first shot to clean anything that might be in it to start with. Then I normally shoot heavy bullets with light loads to minimize copper fouling for the first 5 to 10 shots cleaning the barrel spotless between shots with a good solvent. Shoot and clean 20 shots then 3 shots and clean after that. I've had them break in as fast as 25 shots but 100 shots is more common. When they start to clean easily they are broke in.
There is no reason to use factory ammo for break in, but you can if you want too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts