Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and i have a question i think you might be able to help me with. I am shopping for a new scope to use one my two AR-15s. One is in .223 the other in 6.5 Grendel. I will be using it for long range target as well as varmint and deer hunting. I'm looking to spend not much more than $450 and would like the following features:
6-24 variable (or something close)
target turrets
mil-dot reticle
side focus nice but not necessary

Some that I have found are:
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 $420
Burris fullfield II tactical 6.5-20x50 $483
Simmons Prohunter master 6-21x44 $195

Thanks in advance for the input.

Ryan

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have the Elite 4200.

You cant go wrong with this scope. I think it is one of the best values on the market. Check our board sponser Opticzone. They usually have the best prices on the net.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I guess I'm just partial....

to Leupolds. I would look for a used 4.5-14 Leupold. It will do everything you want it for and do it well. And I would stay away from the Simmons for sure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Scope

Just bought a Bushnell 4200 6x24 from Optic Zone; $405 shipped. This the adjustable AO, not SF. It looks pretty nice, but I have not mounted it yet or done side by sides to other optics. I went with Optic zone as they have always answered my questions about different scopes in a very informative and timely manner over the last few months.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Millet now makes a few of new models.
They make 3 new 6-25X56mm, duplex, mil dot and FCH and all have side focus.
They will be in the $350 range.
I have no experience with anything Millet so no idea of quality or warranty.

Sightron also makes scopes that fit your specs, they will be priced similar to Burris. Again, I have no experience with Sightron optics.

Buy the best scope you can affford. Good luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would recommend taking a look at our new Clearidge Ultra XP 6-20x40, Mil Dot scope. We are offering it to GGVG members for $329.99 and it is equvilant to the Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200, Weaver Grand Slam and some have even compared it to the Zeiss Conquest. You can read some testimonies at www.clearidgeoptics.com/reviews_testimonies.html and you see more on our website at www.theopticzone.com/clearidgescopes.aspx.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
407 Posts
How long is long range ?

If you using the gun/ scope for varmints, then you may find that you will need no more than 16X, at most. I very seldom move my scopes beyond 16X when shooting prarie dogs. Good luck......:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the good advice! You guys are great. I posted this same question on another site several days ago and still haven't gotten any responses. By long range target, I'm talking up to 1000 yards (with 6.5 grendel, not .223). I have decided to go with the Bushnell Elite 4200. My decision was influenced by a great deal that came to me just this morning, $319 for the Elite 4200 6-24x40 mil-dot w/ Side focus. This price includes shipping and insurance and it's a brand new scope. I guess the guy just really wanted to get rid of it. I did look at the Clearridge and I would have bought one of those if this deal hadn't come along. They seem to be pretty good scopes. I'll defintely buy one for my next project. Thanks again everyone!

Ryan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deal fell through..looking at Clearidge

Well it looks like I'm back in the market. The good deal on the elite 4200 turned out to be a fraud from some hacker that must have gotten into Ebay. Luckily I caught it before sending any money. I was reading those reviews on Clearidge optics. Does anyone here have any personal experience with one that I can talk to? They appear to be a very good value for a very good quality scope, I just want to get this from some source that I didn't get from the manufacturer website, wich might be slightly biased. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I use a Burris 6.5-20x50 on my Krieger barreled AR. It is a prairie dog killin' machine. I have the same scope on a DPMS Superbull that as scored pd kills out to 750yds.

The Krieger is pictured here with a brand new shooter. My son (left) & his pal Matt were teaching Gerilynne how to shoot last summer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well it looks like I'm back in the market. The good deal on the elite 4200 turned out to be a fraud from some hacker that must have gotten into Ebay. Luckily I caught it before sending any money. I was reading those reviews on Clearidge optics. Does anyone here have any personal experience with one that I can talk to? They appear to be a very good value for a very good quality scope, I just want to get this from some source that I didn't get from the manufacturer website, wich might be slightly biased. Thanks guys.
I don't really want to send people to other forums, but you can go to www.rimfirecentral.com and talk with some of the members over there that have used them.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.