Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
What sort of firearm are you using to dispatch these varmints and what varmints are attacking you and your loved ones. What kind of equipment are you in dire need of? I can relieve your wallet. He he he.

·
Registered
Remington, Savage, Rossi, or Marlin guns
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I enjoy a simple Marlin semi-auto .22 lr for rabbits and rock chucks. We have some cattle, so coyotes are a threat to the calves in the winter. I am looking for a coyote gun for this winter, so any suggestions on a caliber or make would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Welcome from western Oklahoma. We also run cattle here. I hunted and harvested a bear up near Riggins a few years ago….pretty country.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Welcome, Tyson.

... any suggestions on a caliber or make would be appreciated.
Anything other than a Ru ... Ru ... Ruger and you'll probably be fine. Personally I'm partial to Savages, but I do have Remingtons, a Rossi Judge, and prolly half a dozen 10/22's in various styles made by you know who. ;)

One of my favorite rifles is a Remington 788 in .243. It's a carbine with a factory barrel that's 18 1/2, I think. Good for whitetails here in Kentucky and will really roll a coyote, too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome aboard. We will treat you so many ways you will have to like one of them. You would be hard pressed to beat a .243, with a 70-thru 87 gr bullet for coyote hunting. Most of them will shoot any bullet in this range with good accuracy. I have a Savage 10, with a sporter barrel, and a 3x12 x44 scope, and it will shoot 70 gr Sierras into nice little clusters under a dime at 100 yds. I have taken several yotes out to 450 yds with this or identical setups. I am partial to Savage rifle, have a few factory, 5 that I built custom rifles on.

·
Registered
Remington, Savage, Rossi, or Marlin guns
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also enjoy shooting Savage guns. I don’t own one personally but have several friends who do. I am having a hard time deciding what gun to get next since I also drew a rare bull elk tag for a nearby area. Thanks for the suggestions. I have used a .243 some and have enjoyed them. I don’t have very many guns, so I am looking to get more.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Welcome aboard! Feel free to join in the morning check-in and get acquainted. For Coyotes a 223 works well. An AR is fun to shoot if you enjoy automatics and there are several choices in bolt guns if you choose that route. I've never shot an Elk, so not much help there. But I probably would choose my 300 Winchester Magnum.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I go thru Hydro every week going to chemo treatment. I have some good friends who live there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts