Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed my Technician class this weekend. My new call sign is HI4THT!

I would like a recommendation on a HT that can stand up to hunting. I am looking at a Yaesu VX-170 in 2 meter becasue it is waterproof and gets good reviews on eham.net.

Does anyone have any recommendations on units they like? Is 2 meter all I need for communicating in most hunting situations?

Thanks for any and all input.

Brad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brad, I think you will have better luck with the FRS or GMRS radios as most hunters will have them instead of a Ham license and radio. However, if you have a Ham friend to hunt with then my personal recommendation is the Icom IC-T2H or the newer version of it. It is available with an alkaline battery pack that makes up the back half of the radio. You can use rechargeable AA cells as well. I got mine from Amateur Electronic Supply for $99. Low power is 1 watt and high power with 12 volts is 6 watts.
73's
Brian WA5RDG

·
Registered
329 Posts
I passed my Technician class this weekend. My new call sign is HI4THT!
Brad
Where did you get that call sign ... HI4THT is assigned to Dajabon, Monte Cristi, or Valverde, all of which are in the Dominican Republic...
... and the Dominican Republic does not have a Technician license.

But to your question, 2 meters is a bad choice - FRS or GMRS is a far better choice, plus your friends don't have to have a license.

From an old ham - K2BK

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooops, I fat fingered that question

Where did you get that call sign ... HI4THT is assigned to Dajabon, Monte Cristi, or Valverde, all of which are in the Dominican Republic...
... and the Dominican Republic does not have a Technician license.

But to your question, 2 meters is a bad choice - FRS or GMRS is a far better choice, plus your friends don't have to have a license.

From an old ham - K2BK

the call sign should be KI4THT, I fat fingered that one!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Not a real fan of hand helds, but have a couple. Like everyone else said if you don`t already have a friend or 2 with their ham tickets I would go with CB or FRS radios. If your getting a hand held just for hunting go to a Hamfest and pick up an old used one with no bells or whisles.
WB8ZZJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.