Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, not new to shooting though. Have been hunting small game since I was very young and really enjoy it. Varmint, small edibles and things that would like to have fresh chicken on us! I started hunting with a .22LR going after squirrel and rabbits. Eventually I grew out of the little cartridge and started shooting .223 Remington and pushing my shots out quite a bit.
I enjoy reloading for my rifles that are chambered for .223 and that is what helped me to choose to "roll my own". Looking forward to meeting others that really enjoy varmint hunting :)

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Welcome, Kaity. Now, right off, you know somebody's got to ask if you're a guy or a gal. I mean, we all know about a boy name Sue, so if you're a guy named Kaity, that's cool.

You did a great job of telling us how you got started hunting and how you've progressed to reloading. This board has guys with a wealth of reloading experience.

And what about location? Are you in prairie dog country, or maybe it's ground squirrels, or rock chucks. Or you could be like most of us, living east of the Mississippi and having to drive for days just to get to the PDs.

Welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"How do you do!" :D I am a gal living in rural California. We have a small ranch breeding chickens and goats. Ground squirrels are an absolute menace on our ranch. We also have to keep conscious of predators, mostly coyotes and wild dogs. We lived in the midwest for a spell and enjoyed helping farmers clear some of the riff raff from their pastures. Learned a lot!

My favorite rifle at the moment is my Thompson Encore, 26" .223Rem with synthetic furniture. Burris Fullfield II 3x9 and bipod. It is a joy to shoot, the rifle is just heavy enough that the .223 is just shy of recoiless. It launches 40-50 grain bullets very nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Well, this is Varmint Hunters and was once called Go Go Varmint Go so you know where we stand.
Welcome to our little den, maybe of iniquity. We also do some wildcat cartridge here because, well, just because we experiment some. The .223 is a good varmint cartridge as most components are readily available.
Wednesday is hump day to some here so look the other way if those sort of picture offend you or post yours if you care to.
At any rate, welcome and do post again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am pretty hard to offend, have been accused of having a bit of a wicked sense of humor a few times. I kind of stuck with the .223 for varmint, the barrels life is essentially "forever".
Wood Bench Monochrome photography Monochrome Outdoor bench

This thing is a tack driver with the right load. We have a few other .223's as well, but this one is mine :) Had a leather cartridge on it for a while, but it slipped around and so I removed it. My mom and I designed and sewed up a 7 round wrist holder for .454 Casull that is the pistol version in my Encores. Might have to sew up another for .223 Rem. We do enjoy shooting A LOT!

Thank you everyone for the welcome!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
KaityLynn, if you like the .223, and you obviously do, have you ever shot a .204 Ruger? Those are my two "go to" calibers for prairie dogs. I don't remember how much faster the .204 is, but that sucker shoots flat as a laser our to 300 yards or so and it really launches the dogs.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Welcome from western Oklahoma, We can do away with asking political questions since you own a gun and live in California….lol. We even let one guy in here from Oregon one time😵‍💫.
I will warn you, If you hang around, we will tempt you, so watch your wallet. One or 2 guns always leads to multiple guns and calibers. They breed like rabbits in your vault.

·
Registered
126 Posts
^^^^^^ Annnd that's the TRUTH. They get to He'n n She'n in that dark place.....that's how the Remage got started. Kinda like a mule and horse.
Got any cats or dogs on the place? JR and l plus others are cat people. A good dog is nearly priceless as well. Matter of fact, looking for an older pup now. I had 3 rescue kitties but they have all timed out. Last one was at least 17.
I like learning about folks, their heritage, hobbies etc.
Re .20 cal, the .20 Practical is sooo easy its stupid. Size a .223 to .20, shoot and go and go and shoot. Easy peasy. They have a quantifiable edge in the wind over a 223. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KaityLynn, if you like the .223, and you obviously do, have you ever shot a .204 Ruger? Those are my two "go to" calibers for prairie dogs. I don't remember how much faster the .204 is, but that sucker shoots flat as a laser our to 300 yards or so and it really launches the dogs.
My friend has one that I have shot a bit. I do like it! Might pick up a barrel at some point. We reload, so we just need die for it...which she has :)

The .204 is super flat and plenty powerful for small game. Most of my practice is inside of 200 yards, but there is a "gong" out at about 500 yards and I can hit that consistently with both calibers. No recoil either!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome from western Oklahoma, We can do away with asking political questions since you own a gun and live in California….lol. We even let one guy in here from Oregon one time😵‍💫.
I will warn you, If you hang around, we will tempt you, so watch your wallet. One or 2 guns always leads to multiple guns and calibers. They breed like rabbits in your vault.
I just stay clear of the political stuff...I am proudly independent, but lean a bit right in some stuff. There are actually a lot of us here, we tend to occupy the more open spaces of the state.

We own quite a few, and then there are mine :) A couple are hand me downs from my dad. The 20 gauge and .30-30. These are working heirlooms for me!

They definitely do breed in the safe! I have been pleasantly surprised by that fact over the years!

Wood Flooring Metal Tool Antique tool

From .22 to .44 in rifles and .22 to .45 in pistols. My cats appreciate my claws as much as I appreciate theirs! They are relentless hunters of anything not nailed down in our home.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Lol….good on you. What is the second rifle from top? Looks interesting. It does look like you have an excellent selection to fit any need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^^^^ Annnd that's the TRUTH. They get to He'n n She'n in that dark place.....that's how the Remage got started. Kinda like a mule and horse.
Got any cats or dogs on the place? JR and l plus others are cat people. A good dog is nearly priceless as well. Matter of fact, looking for an older pup now. I had 3 rescue kitties but they have all timed out. Last one was at least 17.
I like learning about folks, their heritage, hobbies etc.
Re .20 cal, the .20 Practical is sooo easy its stupid. Size a .223 to .20, shoot and go and go and shoot. Easy peasy. They have a quantifiable edge in the wind over a 223. :)
Thank you for the welcome! I enjoy conversation with others as well. Two cats and two dogs. The cats are indoor only after we lost our two barn cats. The dogs are largish breeds and are wonderful protectors of the property. We have a bit of land and they roam all of it. We have a livestock dog and

We also have some livestock. Chickens and goats. We produce almost a dozen eggs a day even in the snowy winters. The goats are milking goats, except for the buck who has but one job in life. Most men would be jealous I think! We love working with our animals and I enjoy gardening as well.

I grew up in southern California. My grandfather traveled the world for work, often working in remote areas for months at a time. He passed along his understanding of firearms as tools, what they are for and why they will always be important. He also made sure all of us grandkids understood the responsibility we inherit in owning them. My dad also enjoyed hunting and shooting, eventually my sister and I were fully introduced to that world. My little family have since moved out away from the cities and have taken up a more mellow life that we can enjoy.

My daughters were introduced as I was. Our oldest used to be a competitive shooter. She has her own family now and the reality of time settled in so she does not get out much. Our next youngest enjoys dove and quail hunting. She is also a very decent marksman.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol….good on you. What is the second rifle from top? Looks interesting. It does look like you have an excellent selection to fit any need.
The bolt gun? That is my Ruger 77 International in .243Win, my deer rifle. Have had it so long I cannot even remember when I bought it. It is lightweight and does not kick me around like the .30-06 I started with.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
That is one fine rifle. I thought that was what it was. I have one in the ultra light in 250-3000 that I just gave to my youngest grandson (11). I had it and traded to a friend years ago for his grandson. Then when I asked about it for my grandson, he gave it back to me. If you ever decide to sell it or trade it off, I would certainly be interested.

Reactions: KaityLynn
1 - 20 of 21 Posts