Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always had a desire for collecting WWII German pistols. I bought this vet bring back Radom Type II P35 9mm today from a neighbor. Pistol is a cross between a Colt 1911 and Browning hi power. When the Nazi's invaded Poland in 1939 they took over the Radom factory and continued production of the P35 with German acceptance stamps and proof marks. Later when the Russians took over Poland in 1944 the Germans moved the Radom pistol machinery to Austria and made a crude version of the P35 without a takedown lever. This 1941 Radom has a mint bore and I plan on it being a shooter.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Very nice gun. I think if a fella were to make a list of 'least-desirable jobs' one could aspire to, 'Nazi quartermaster' would be on it for sure and probably quite close to the top. Between the captured factories (like yours) and captured weapons (like the millions on the Eastern front) I cannot imagine that repairs were even ever considered. One thing I've always been quite interested in when reading up on conflicts is when both sides use the same weapons. I don't own a Nazi Browning GP35 yet but plan to find one for that reason.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I had a '44 model, the bare bones job, pitted finish, Nazi proofs, etc. The bore looked rough, but it shot like it had eyes. One time (only) I shot a 100 yard group of about 2.5 inches, with cast bullet reloads. Damn fine pistola, regardless of it's previous users. I liked it a lot, and I can't remember what I traded it for, but I no doubt came out the loser on the deal.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radom

Monkeyman and Glenn,

I had heard the 9mm Radom's usually shoot well. I gave it the shake test and the slide to frame is tight, no rattles anywhere. I bought a Wather P38 from a vet friend a few years ago that has since died. He had never fired it in 60 years and looks like it was only proof tested at Walther. I can't bring myself to shoot it but the Radom is broken in and when it warms up in Mn it is going to get used. Monkeyman in Barbados don't you have some Lugers or other WWII hardware?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Radom was the first pistol I ever owned. I think I paid a whopping 25-30 bucks for it at a gunshow over in Washington Courthouse Ohio. That was in 1964. It was a very accrate, reliable pistol. If my memory is correct,I think mine had a kind of maroon grips. I kept it for maybe 10 years and regret selling it. If you find you don't like the Radom let me know.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Monkeyman and Glenn,

. Monkeyman in Barbados don't you have some Lugers or other WWII hardware?
That depends (with bright desk lamp shining directly in your face and jumper cables attached to your testicles), 'are you or anyone you know currently employed by my wife or any of her associates in the field of espionage'?

I've found in gun collecting that luck is often the most important factor followed closely by patience. I specifically collect infantry firearms from the two world wars, mainly pistols, rifles and SMGs. I happened upon a couple of LMGs that I couldn't pass up (Browning 1919, Maxim 1910 and MG34) but my interest is the personal experiences of average men in major conflict and the guns the average infantryman used to defend his life every day. Obviously it is quite a huge field of collecting so I try to pick the most common or highest profile gun for the nation and period rather than try to chase around rare guns (which I probably couldn't afford anyway). For example, the German army in WW1 would be represented accurately by the G98, Officers' Luger, Artillery Luger and MP18 SMG. The MP18 only entered the war in the last days so could really be removed from the list as having no influence on the outcome, I have all of the others. I would say that I am about 2/3 of the way through my list so far.

I keep a spreadsheet sorted by dates, countries and weapons and try to fill in the blanks when I can. Obviously trading is a really big part of the fun, I gather trading material all the time (especially British Commonwealth guns like Lee Enfields). For instance, I just did a deal for six Garand M1C sniper rifles that I will use to trade for a K98k siderail sniper and a No4T plus a few other bits I would not normally have been able to buy for cash. I shoot all of my guns occasionally, when I'm dust someone else will have allot of cleaning to do!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Guns & Ammo did a cover story article on the Radom in the winter of 1967. At the time, I knew the sporting goods manager of a local newbery's department store. They were selling the Radoms for $50 at the time. Dave let me go through each pistol they had until I found a really nice specimen, and he held it for me until I decided I didn't want it. Remember that at the time, a NIB Hi-Power sold for $59.95 under Brownings forced retail price scheme, so the Radom didn't seem like that much a bargain.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
German Pistols

Ron , there used to be a Minister around ( I think ) Rochester , Minnesota who was a Superb refinisher of Lugers . I never could find out his name , and that was about 15 years ago . I worked for a very short time in NY State with a gal who ( with her husband ) bought and sold Lugers in Minnesota....especially rare ones . She said this Minister was so good that Luger Experts could not tell the ones that had been re-done in the so called "straw" color . In those days I had a Luger I wanted re-done , and it irked me that I could'nt get that name , and shortly thereafter I sold my Luger . I think if you live near that area , it might be useful to talk around and see if that Minister is still around and doing refinishing just for future reference .

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I had heard someplace, that most of the Vis production went to the Waffen SS and other units, but I don't know where I heard or read that, and it's been driving me nuts. Radom was the arsenal or city where they were made, VIS P-35 is the proper terminology, IIRC. In any event, they are one heckuva pistol, handy to pack around in the field. I think they are pretty underrated, still, they are a lot better than a P-08 or P-38, in my book, maybe right behind a Hi-Power. The real prewar Polish pistols were very finely made, though the stock slots were kinda superflous.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Radom story is about Polish suffering

Robert Whittington's first edition in 1969 gave me the historical insight to pursue collecting German proofed handguns. The Radom was a truly unique Nationalistic firearm that the NAZI's adapted to their use. Nearly 400,000 of them were produced. That is among the largest block of "non German production" that they issued. The rare "Polish Eagle" guns are beautiful as are the early German production.

I have owned several Russian and German WWII production handguns that were captured in the 1970 invasion "re. incursuion" into Cambodia. These were MINT FN Brownings, type 30/33 Tokarevs, and WWII German pieces.

Rule 1. Never sell of part of your collection. You will regret it forever.

Rule 2. Governments (Capt. Crunch at Anniston) should never consider firearms to be obsolete.

Old Doug BTW< Please don't think I am totally FOS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old German Pistol

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with some info on an old pistol that I came across over the holidays. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's a P35 9mm Radom pistol with many Polish and German marks on it. The pistol was taken during WWII after intelligence was received by the military that high ranking Nazi/German officers were meeting in a location. The officers had fled the location shortly before the raid, but a few pistols, coats, belts, etc were left behind. The pistol has never been appraised. It is in excellent condition (a few minor scratches and some light wear), but has never been fired and has been kept very well. I'm not sure about some of the markings, but did notice that the serial number begins with "000". It is a 9mm all metal with a take down lever,de-cocker and a grove on the back of the grip for a stock to attach. The serial number beginning with zeros has me interested to know how old the gun is, if it is known if this was the first gun produced, if it was given to or carried by a high ranking Nazi/German officer (or even Hitler himself), and how much the gun is worth? If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you have any insight or information and could reply or e-mail it to me that would be great. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
kylec40, you might try the gunboard forums, and see if someone can answer your specific question, but it's likely your pistol isn't one of the first ones, they were marked with the Polish Eagle and other marks, and yours is most likely one of a new series of production for German use. Pictures, as always, are a big help, especially with the proof marks and other stamps.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Radom

Kyle,

The old Radom posting has resurfaced, there is not much information on the Radom pistols. There is a book I purchased about the Radom P35 off
e-bay

"The Radom Pistol" by Robert Berger a small book at 99 pages. The book does have information on the variations and number of pistols made by years but little on the serial numbers but has pictures of pistols and holster styles. There is the German pistol forum that has a non German made pistol section such as the Radom. Radoms are nice shooting 9mm's and handle like a Browning hi power. I thought the one I aquired was made in 1941 but found out it was made in 43 does not have the early shoulder stock slot. Ron

Link http://luger.gunboards.com/

Late model Radom on Gunbroker, there are some others also

Link http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119061124

My P35 Radom below,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.