Varmint Hunters Forum banner

New person

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JSH 
#1 ·
Jim C from Anchorage, Alaska

#4 ·
I grew up in Iowa, hunting, fishing, trapping. I joined the military in 1966 (Army), did 3 tours in Viet Nam 67-69, 71-72, got stationed in Alaska 1972 then I got out of the mitilary 1977. Went to work for a major oil company in Alaska (BP) left there in 2000.. 2001 I got jod working in a Federal Police unit ( Retired) .
My major time I spend fishing in the summer. Fall I spend hunting. (Moose,Caribou, Brown bear or Grizzly or Black bear, fox, cyotoes, wolfs, Lynx) I also spend alot of time reloading (I reaload for all firearms I own). Ammo is really hard to get in Alaska. If our shop have some in stock ( bring Gold) very very expensive.
Recently I acquired my grand fathers 222 Remington 788 (great rifle). Did have abox of ammo with it. Can't find any ammo in 222 remington in Alaska. Nor brass.
I enjoy your site. Thank you for access to it.
Jim C.

#5 ·
Jim, sitting in Seattle now after una$$ing from a cruise. Couldn't dock in Ketchikan w the high winds, even w a tug assisting. A lot of sail factor and they said "small harbor". So early into Vancouver.
I really liked AK. 25 years younger and I'd move.
Glad to have you. A reasonable flavor of our "usual" suspects can be had from the daily agenda posts. Some shooting and some plain old daily chores mention as well as a needle or leg pull.....you are obviously going to be after many regulars (time) but don't let that deter you. Join in, chime in. Tom

#7 ·
Welcome, Jim. Some of us have been here on the GoGo board back when it was called something else. I can't even remember the old name. Anyway, waaaay back then I remember we had an active member who was a young college-age girl who hunted and trapped. We all got a kick out of communicating with a young girl who clearly knew a thing or three about a trap line. When she graduated from college we held a little forum fundraiser and sent her a graduation gift.

I just retired a year ago and an Alaskan cruise/tour is on our bucket list. It'd be nice to have a GoGo contact up there. 45taj can also give us some tips since he basically did back to back tours to Alaska this summer.

I was still in college (and Army ROTC) when our role in Nam wound down. I did lose an uncle over there in June 68, up north near Khe Sanh. He was a Navy corpsman attached to a USMC outfit (3/4). I've been attending reunions of his USMC outfit every other year and have a real appreciation for Nam vets. Thank you for your service.

#9 ·
Welcome and Thank You for your service. I also had the Alaska “bug” in 1967 when I got married (but my wife didn’t). Finally got to go about 10-12 years ago and now have visited you about 6 times. Once drove up rest flying. Twice we have rented house south of Soldotna and hosted many friends and family there for visits. I envy you.
Welcome to our little site. Come on in, sit down, and enjoy yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.