Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
I haven't seen one yet, but plan on making

the Louisville, KY show end of next month. Will probably be a few there. As far as the bbl fix............only time will tell. :rolleyes: :D

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Remington's advertising is a little bit deceiving....

The Model 799 is imported from Zastava Arms Works (ZCZ, and no relation to the Czech CZ folks) in Yugoslavia, but the Model 799 action is not a true 98 Mauser design like the Model 798 is.

The 799 has a recessed bolt face and an M-16 style extractor. What looks like a non-rotating Mauser claw extractor on the bolt is nothng more than a bolt guide rib like you find on the older Sako actions. It also has a separate sheet metal box magazine that is separate from the trigger guard, again unlike a true 98 Mauser design where the magazine is part of the trigger guard.

I bought one of the "mini-Mausers" in 223 Rem a few years back. It was imported by Charles Daly and it shot very well. I still wish I had it.

Between Interarms and CD, there was a pretty good gap in years when these could not be imported into the US. The US State Department slapped an arms embargo on Serbian Yugoslavia during the Bosnian conflict in the late 1980's-early 1990's and it was not lifted until @ 2000 - if I remember correctly - when CD picked up importation rights. Apparently Remington outbid CD this last round and got the importation rights for the rifles.

I just recently bought a Rem Model 5 in 22 LR (also Zastava built) and I am very pleased with it. It feels like a larger rifle and it shoot extremely well. I'm kinda' thinking about finding one of the 799's in 22 Hornet and giving it a try.

JMO - BCB

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had thought that the CD/Rem 799 was from the CZ/BRNO works but learned that they are a different company - I got to see one a while back and I liked it. If you don't like the stock, you can get most any styls from Boyds, and gget fancy wood if you like.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
[QUOTE=Bayou City Boy;11651 It also has a separate sheet metal box magazine that is separate from the trigger guard, again unlike a true 98 Mauser design where the magazine is part of the trigger guard.

Just a slight correction here, unless my 799 is different. The magazine on mine is sheet metal, but it is attached to the flooplate(triggerguard). It's not made as a one piece item, but they are together.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Bayou City Boy;11651 It also has a separate sheet metal box magazine that is separate from the trigger guard said:
Just a slight correction here, unless my 799 is different. The magazine on mine is sheet metal, but it is attached to the flooplate(triggerguard). It's not made as a one piece item, but they are together.
What you said is what I was trying to say. Thanks....

My point was that the magazine was not truly a 98 Mauser-like design by being part of a completely machined one piece trigger guard unit like you find with the original 98 Mauser action. Minus the floorplate of course...

Thanks again....

-BCB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.