Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new rifle - Primary game will be antelope, whitetail, mule deer, hog, and maybe elk, but I do have a 300wsm Tikka and 30-06 Browning for that. Don't really want a new rifle with a muzzle brake but I like the Tikka rifles ( Roughtech and Wideland Veil ) and have had good luck with them very smooth action. another option I'm looking at is Christensen Arms. Had the 6.5 PRC in mind but since I don't reload and ammo is pricey now plus scarce thinking a 270 might be about perfect or the 6.5 man bun. Would like to keep the rifle lightweight as well. Have a nice Swarovski Z5 to top it with.
Rifle options?
Caliber Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your input

·
Administrator
4,318 Posts
270 would be the right choice for the caliber and then just purchase the rifle you like the best. In my opinion the new calibers still take a back seat to the tried and true.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
^^^^^^ Astute obsevation.

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Lots of good choices. Nothing wrong with 270. 7-08, 6.5 Creedmoor (man bun I assume LOL) 6 Creedmoor, 243, 6mm Rem, 25-06 will all get the job done, excluding elk with anything smaller than the 6.5 CR. But you have them covered. I'd pick one with the most readily available ammo at this point. Not a lot of difference between most of them.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
270 would be the right choice for the caliber and then just purchase the rifle you like the best. In my opinion the new calibers still take a back seat to the tried and true.
Well, I don't entirely agree w/ ya.

If (and only IF) one takes the time to work up loads for comparison rounds, choosing the ideal powder/charges and bullets/seating depths, etc., etc. will the difference potential (if any) be realized.(on paper). But, when it comes to effectiveness for critters, if the ballistic tables show close similarities, the other physical conditions (range estimation, temperature, angle above or below horizontal, etc) muddy the water pretty quick.

When I was selling gun in a retail shop I'd get questions every day about comparisons between this or that new cartridge compared to some old timer. I'd tell them the fact is, modern guns have come a long way in the past 10-20 years, far as accuracy goes. So, to really appreciate some of the whoopalah about this or that new caliber requires a competitive shooters level of attention to make a conclusion, UNLESS comparing vastly dissimilar calibers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are some new interest swings in 270. I had for years shoved in my face, 130 grain bullet in the 270. Forward 25 years, I went to a 150 and wish I had done so long ago. Total game changer

·
Administrator
4,318 Posts
I have read recently a lot of people are going to the 150gr bullets in the 270. More accurate and more effective, always been a favorite caliber of mine mostly due to Jack O'Connor. I shot a pre 64 Mod 70 for a time with 150gr Hornady's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts