Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of walking and calling and to be quite honest, I got tired of packing my Rock River heavy barrel 223. I was carrying my Ruger 77/17HMR, and love doing so because of the weight...or rather lack of. I have killed a number of coyotes with the .17, but it is a short range round. I have been wanting to try something else, so I finally broke down and got another rifle. I found a Remington Model 7 in .204 Ruger. This was a special run rifle with synthetic stock and matte finish. I topped it with a 4x12 Leupold. I wanted a lightweight packing rifle that had the potential for long range shots if the situation arose. I don't expect this little rig to be a tackdriver like a heavier barreled rifle would be, but it should do okay for what I want. I'll let you know how it shoots, if it ever warms up here and the wind stops blowing.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Sounds like a neat combo

I like the Rem 7's and the 20 calibers....so it must be good. I have a Rem 600 that has had a major facelift...it now is a 20 Tactical...and it's great on coyotes.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If your shooting coyotes with a .20 cal stay with the heave bullets. I love the 32 Serrias for groundhogs, but they are very lacking on coyotes, they just don`t penitrate. Should fold them like a wet rag if put in the chest, but all the shot I get seem to be at that Texas eye ball.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shoot it today

The wind finally calmed down enough this afternoon, so I sighted the Model 7 in. After getting centered on paper at 25 yards, I moved out to 100 yards and got it about where I wanted it shoot. I fired a 3 shot group that measured an honest inch. This was with Hornady factory 32 grain ammo, shooting off a very bad rest, with a scope that I still have'nt tweaked to my liking and these 56 year old eyes need something other than Walmart reading glasses. Further shots proved that this rifle is a shooter, which doesn't surprise me because it is a Remington. All I want it for is just as a carrying rifle on my walking and calling that I do. I think it will work just fine, maybe even better if I can find a better base for it. I am using a 2 peice Burris, and it just doesn't look as if it were made for the Model 7.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better way to go on the bases? I prefer a 2 piece base system, mainly for looks, and have always like the Redfield style system. Give me some ideas if you have any.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does your Model 7 have a pressure pad on the tip of the forearm?

Some people say free floating barrel on a mod 7 is not a good tweak. Yours shoots well out of the box without tweaking and I am wondering if it has a pad or not.

·
Registered
288 Posts
FWIW I had a Model 7 in 260 that shot good with only trigger work and although I did bed the action and recoil lug to the plastic stock we left the pressure pad intact and it like I said it shot good. My local gunsmith says he leaves the pressure pad intact on Rem. Model Sevens until he finds out how they shoot and then he will remove it if it won't shoot any other way.

Rodney

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's nothing like a nice lightweight rifle for packing around all day, that's for sure! For awhile I packed around a .223 with a heavy barrel and the whole thing topped off at about 9 pounds. Great for shooting off sticks or prone, but a dog to shoot standing up. Now I have a six pound .223 that is MUCH better, it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
bases....

I prefer the Leupold one-piece base....seems a bit sturdier. I like "the looks" of two-piece bases but just feel on the model 7's and 600's, the one's do a better job. I use the 32 grain vmaxes in my 20 Tacticals and so far have performed flawlessly on coyotes, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.