Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those that know me know my interests in the shooting sports are vast and vary greatly. Traditional archery, slingshots, suppressed short barreled, big bore, long range, anything and everything that launches a projectile. But it all comes back to filling the freezer. I have two little boys, we are meat eater, and it's not uncommon to go through a full elk, a couple antelope, a bear, and a deer or two for us between hunting seasons.

I picked up a neglected 50 caliber for my Thompson Center muzzleloader for next to nothing for the purpose of having it rebored. I recently sent it to Pennsylvania to a Smith named Bob Hoyt with a money order for $140 and a note stating I wanted a 58 caliber twisted so I could shoot patched roundball and minnie hollow base slugs.

Turn around time was 5 ish weeks. He took the formally pitted 50 caliber barrel and turned it into a very nice 1:56 twist rifled 58 caliber. I have a 54 caliber barrel with a faster twist and shoot big conicals out of with a heavy charge, I used it in Colorado a couple years ago to roll a small buck on the last day of my hunt. Also have an H&R huntsman from the 70s in 58 caliber round ball gun that has accounted for a couple animals including an extremely nice blacktail buck in Oregon by one of my buddies. I like big bore muzzleloaders for hunting.

I woke up earlier than normal today so while the boys were still sleeping I snuck out and poured some coal down my new barrel.

100gr of RS with a patched round ball gave me this nice cluster shooting offhand at 30 yards. I didn't bring anything to bump my sight over with but it's showing promise.

Of course when a pdog stood up and started barking at me I had to put a sneak on him and get my first kill with the new barrel.

Should be a fun toy to play with for awhile.

Reactions: JRinKY and CarlP

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It is always nice to see someone breathe new life into an old firearm. Thanks for the pictures and report.

By the way, you definitely have some cool toys and it’s obvious that you put them to good use.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Bob does an exceptional job. Most of his barrels like to be run a little hot, on the upper end of powder charges, for best accuracy, just some things I and my buddies have noticed. Seems like you and I have a few things in common, I love trad Ml;s, along with Modern ones, and big bore single shots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts