Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently found an interest in coyote hunting. Live in Texas and would like advice on what rifle, scope and calls yall recommend. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Most any sporter weight 223 will do the job. Scope, I prefer lower power scopes than most. I would'nt have over 12 or 16x and I'd leave it set for probably half the max. The object is to bring them in close and then hammer them so just enough scope to thread a bullet through the brush is what you are looking for. If it is in the brush country, a 3" 12ga isn't a bad option either especially at night. For call circe and screery are the first that come to my mind but most any brand that produces a rabbit type squeal will get it done. As for electronic calls, Foxpro leads the pack but most of the others will work as well.
Stick around and see what you can learn about stand setup. It is THE most important part of calling. I ought to know, I've been screwing it up for a couple of years now. LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey KP,

Seen you had 17 reads and no responses. I don't know it all but I will tell you what works for me. As far as a rifle, shoot what you can shoot well. I prefer either a 22-250 or a 25-06. My choice depends on the time of year. If you plan on skinning, go for the 250. If it is damage control, go for the 25. The 25-06 takes few prisoners. As far as scopes, I only use Leupold or Weaver. As far as calls, I have had NO luck with electronics. Mouth calls work very well for me. Best I can figure is that I have killed around 600 coyotes with mouth calls and 2 with electronics. Other callers will argue this. That is their choice.
Learn to hunt the critters before you worry about calls.
Good luck,
Kirk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I like

The 223 I use 50 gr bullets and a scope set on 6 power. Mouth calls, electrionic calls, It's all good.
EricT

·
Registered
98 Posts
Favorite Combo

My favorite pair is an old wood rabbit call (Big River?) that must be 20 years old, and a Remington 788 in .22-250 that's on it's second barrel. I've shot 'em at 472 yards and had them within 18" of me. :eek:
Find a good 'coyote-ish' spot, settle into a big rock or bush to break up your outline, and try to set up looking downwind. They will often try to circle and 'cut your scent' to see if you really are a dying wabbit.
Let the area get back to normal after you set up- wait 3 to 5 minutes. Spend the time looking around, slowly, and use your rangefinder so you know which rock is 100 yards and which bush is 250. Keep movement to a minimum, wear full camo including gloves and a balaclava.
Call softly at first for a few seconds. If they are nearby you don't want to deafen them. I usually call for a few seconds, then wait a few minutes, and repeat. The calls get louder after a few repetitions. Between calls, keep your eyeballs moving and your physical movement to a minimum.
I usually don't stay more than 20 minutes. If they're there, they're inbound (and dead) by then. If they are not, they are either not there or not coming in.
Move on! More sets = more coyotes.
My .22-250 is moderately fur friendly, but a .223 is more so and a .17 centerfire is liked by many. I use a Leupold 3.5-10X50 scope.

HTH,

6mmRemington

1 - 5 of 5 Posts