Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here guys, so please do not laugh. I am in WV, coyotes are becoming plentiful around here. I am a ground hog hunting fanatic. I tried something last year that worked. Alot of groundhogs here live on field edges. I have shot some groundhogs, I then took some heavy braided fishing line and tied one front leg, and one rear leg to small trees next to field line(with gloves on). I set up about 300 yards out, and about 1/2 hour before daylight. I shot 5 coyotes like that last summer. Not bad considering I only did it 4 different times. Some one told me a coyote would not eat a dead animal. I did not believe them, and I still don't. Does anyone else do this? Or am I a nut? Tom.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Coyotes don't eat anything dead?

Who told you that?

Everytime I open up a deer or elk around here, the howling starts within 15 minutes. This year I thought I would get a shot off of a gut pile that was right behind the house. It was gutted about dark, and I figured early the next morning would be good. I was too late. The coyotes came down within 50 feet of the house that night and ate everything. It looked like they even licked the blood out of the dirt.

Sounds like a good tactic to me.

It's kind of like shooting 20 or so off of a cow carcass here.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Head man you won't have GHogs much longer

The coyotes will kill'em all in no time; we used to have hundreds of them, but now they are almost a curiosity here. About the GHog bait...Sounds like a 'winner to me......I have done the same thing with Deer waste and roadkill deer if I could find one. But you have to tie it also or they will be gone with it. You just have to hope they don't eat all of it before daylight.
You've got it all figured out ...the key is to get up early and do it on The Coyotes terms; not when its convenient to YOU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.