Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info on NVD's. I know that 3rd generation units are the best with the longest tube lives but they are just too expensive. Zeiss do a 2nd+ unit. Anybody on this board got experience of both 2nd & 3rd gen units. Is there a big difference in performance - any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
And the fun begins..

.. Hey.. Over the last few months I have started into NV gear.. It's great stuff and a real hoot to play with but there's a whole bunch of dookie to be stepped into with it.. While there's a whole bunch of information available it's usually associated with someone or some organization out to make a profit so it can tend to be a tad slanted t'wards whatever it is they happen to have for sale at the time..

.. Most all of it is over-priced for what it is, but it is priced at what it will bring.. Especially the accessories.. Same as with anything remotely referred to as "tactical"..

.. Your best bet is to get used if ya can get it from a reliable source.. Even better if they're in "choking distance".. I haven't been able to find anywhere locally where any sort of comparison can be made.. Any place that does carry the gear probably isn't open during the times you could use to try it.. Seems there's only a few sources for the "tubes" and they're put into different "housings" to perform different tasks.. The quality of the tubes can vary wildly.. With the main issues within the respective generations being res and blemishes or spots in the view..

.. As for Gen 2+ and 3.. There's a slight difference with the advantage of course going to the Gen3.. But depending on what you want to do, a 2+ can be just fine.. I have a Gen3 PVS-14 and a D440 Gen2+ 3x rifle scope.. Res is comparable.. Color is different.. Variable gain is a key feature, IMO.. I won't have anything else w/o it..

.. One key piece of gear for longer work is a little gadget called "DaTorch" from Vic over on ARfcom.. It's an IR light that'll dang near burn a hole inna tree line at 400 yards.. It'll help out a "lesser" unit a great deal but over powers in cover..

.. The main thing is to figure out what ya wanna do and then see if it can be done within your budget.. I originally wanted to do pasture work out to around 300 yards but found out I had a lot more opportunity (and fun) using the helmet mounted monocular and shotgun in close with a laser.. Everything's a bit less bashful in the dark.. Sitting and watching a bait is very boring and we're working on ways to improve that situation..

.. Here's a link to the ARfcom NV section.. It'll be easy to spot the local seller but I've bought from him and he's as straight as any.. If you've been out and about already you may recognize him from other boards.. But there's info to be had..

.. Good luck whatever ya decide to go with.. It's hard to get any straight info on this subject as there's not a whole buncha folks doing it.. Please keep in mind that my knowledge and experience are limited..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=18

·
Registered
169 Posts
More LIMITED experience here

I tried an older russian scope in Gen2 and promptly handed it back to the seller. I thought the optics were ok, but I didn`t like using my rifle to look for game. I don`t consider that safe and it`s very tiring.

The next Idea was to mount my old Emerging tech laser on the black gun of death and use the military 2+ goggles. Bingo. I was suddenly able to see the dogs coming in, and, what I really liked was that I didn`t have to shoulder the gun. just raise it high enough to clear any brush, or "hip shoot" if I was in the open.

What surprised me was that the dogs did not seem to notice the laser if I accidentally hit them in the eyes with it (which I tried not to do for fear of spooking them).
I didn`t feel the range was all that good for what I paid so I offed them. I would expect not to buy a set until I can get one that will let me see and target a rabbit sized critter at 150 to 200 yds. Picky picky picky.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for the replies. I don't live in America (unfortunately) so I'm limited to what I can get and what I'm allowed to own - ie any NV device with an aiming reticle is a definite no no. I had a chance to try out a Pilkington Kite and Russian monocular some years ago in the UK. The Soviet unit was very good (it was badged as a 2nd gen unit) but the Kite was incredible - the image it produced in what appeared to the naked eye to be pitch darkness was truly awesome. The guy said that the Kite, which was a rifle scope, was a 3rd generation model but I don't think that civies could own 3rd generation units at that time so I'm inclined to believe that it was a 2nd generation unit. If the Zeiss is anything like as good as that was then I will be very happy with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.