Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate reports from actual users of these two reticle offerings as to their relative usefulness in the small-furry-critter wars. Is the standard Nikoplex too thick for use on small (GS) critters at extended range? Is the FCH so fine as to be a problem in other than bright sunlight? Especially valuable would be input from those who use both versions who are able to give an informed comparison of these reticles after extended use. Many thanks.....Jack

P.S.: I also posted this same thread on the Firearms and Optics board, hoping for maximum response. I hope nobody takes offense at this....Jack

·
Registered
148 Posts
The last Nikon 6.5-20 I had,had the fine cross hair and I really liked it.the only fall back was it was hard to see when using a spotlight..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Reticles

Jack , it all boils down to personal preference . I don't like a Duplex Type for Pdogs , and I am always shooting in bright Sunlight . You should consider the size and distance of your Target , lighting conditions , and what looks good to your eye , as well as whether you prefer to dial-in Range or hold over . There are some very knowledgeable Varminters here who like a Duplex . I like a fine crosshair with or without a small dot , and prefer a few harshmarks for windage and elevation like the Nightforce NP-R2 ( the NP-R1 looks even better ) , or the Leupold Varmint Hunters Reticle , or the IOR Valdada MP-8 , etc. I also have to say that although I like Fine Crosshairs , some of these new Weaver Fine Crosshairs are a bit too Fine for these old eyes ! I have had some Custom Unertls which were too busy , and the Horus ( which you use with a small Computer ) would give me fits . Take a good look thru a few . Pick one and try it against some buddies other type reticle . You can always change your mind later , and if you buy a quality Scope you can always sell it without losing your shirt .

·
Registered
826 Posts
Jack, the cross hair reticle is not an ultra fine.....

reticle and should be great for shootinig targets, squirrels, and p. dogs. I would think that the only draw back would be in ultra low light conditions as one poster has already mentioned.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I've got both and.....

If you are shooting in very low light and through brush or cover, definately choose the Nikoplex. If you are in just low light either should be fine (or they are for me). When in doubt, choose the Nikoplex. WD

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for your responses...

My question was for a comparison of the reticles in this particular scope. From your responses I have to conclude that for small crirtters at range, in all but the worst of conditions, it is really the FCH with which I would be most satisfied. Damn shame too, as my question was prompted by the great price from Midway on the Nikoplex version that Lance mentioned in his post. Thanks again to all who replied. Regards......Jack

·
Registered
726 Posts
Jack, the only Nikon I own is the Buckmasters 4.5-14x Mildot

Now the reticle of my Buckmasters is very good for varminting. The center third of each line is a very fine line with small mildots.

If a Nikoplex reticle has a smilar proportion, but without the mildots, it should be OK for Varmint hunting too, I would think.

Alas, though, I'm not familar with the standard NikoPlex on the Monarch series. So I don't know how it compares to my Buckmaster's reticle. Unfortunately, I don't see any representations of the reticles on the Nikon USA website either.

I know some Duplex scopes only have a small center section that is fine in size. That's one thing I have liked about the Sightrons, is that their Duplex does have a large center section that are fine lines.

There has got to be someone on the board that has this specific Monarch 6.5-20x scope with the Nikoplex. I'm surprised that no one has spoken up, so far.

Is Midway very good about taking back returns? I had good luck with Natchez Shooter's Supply taking back a Burris scope that I was dissatisfied with when I examined it. I think most will take a scope back, as long as it has not been mounted yet. Perhaps you could risk ordering it, and then send it back if it turns out to not be suitable.

Come to think of it, I think PH has this Monarch scope on a couple of his rifles. Maybe try sending him a private message for advice.

Lance

·
Registered
726 Posts
Jack, I did some more checking for you, and I found this

image of a Nikoplex reticle online. Here it is:

Hopefully this is an accurate representation. To me, this looks like the fine center section is pretty good sized. Definitely looks much larger than what you get on a Bushnell or Weaver Duplex.

Maybe someone else can also view this image, and give you feedback if this looks like an accurate representation to them. I would expect it must be.

Good luck,

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have the 6.5-20 nikon with the nikoplex that i use for p-dogs.no problems at all
out to 500 yards set at about 12 power.if its covering up your target that your worried about.i was also worried as the nikoplex seems to be fairly thick.if you can buy that scope for 345 i,d buy it! it will always work on something for that price.......snuffy

·
Registered
329 Posts
Jack.

I have this scope with a "Nikoplex" reticle. The center has fine x-hairs, and it is a joy to use. It is on a longrange crow rifle.

Optically, it is outstanding, and beats the Leupold in contrast and clairity.

The reason these scopes are dropping in price, is because they are being discontinued, and replaced with a 6.5-20x44 Side focus this coming year (after the Shot Show).

That's no problem if you like AO, but if you like SF, you might wait a few months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They also come with a dot

I bought my Monarch 6.5 x 20 years ago when they only offered the Nikoplex. I have it mounted on a 24" vmatch set up AR and like it a lot. Just as good as my VX III, however, I do like the 1/4" dots with fine crosshairs. I probably would have bought that scope if it had been available. Just used to dots, that is all. The standard Nikoplex is basically a standard duplex and is fine enough in the center for precision shooting at extended ranges. I have thought about buying one from Midway even though I don't currently need one. I bet the new side focus model will probably be right up there with the newer side focus Leupolds, in terms of pricing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts