Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a scope for my new CZ 527 Varmint (laminated stock) in .223. I've narrowed my choices down to the new Nikon Buckmaster 6 x 18, with side-focus, or the Nikon Monarch 5.5 x 16.5 or 6.5 x 20 (with conventional adjustable objective). They are all three about the same money right now, the the Monarch scopes being discounted due to their impending refresh. I need a scope now, and can't wait for the new Monarchs, which will likely be significantly more $ than the discounted current models. I'll be using the gun for general varminting (long range coyotes, ground squirrels, jack rabbits, rock chucks, etc.) and long range plinking. Please let me know your thoughts on these scopes - which one would you get (they're all around $300). Is the side focus that much nicer?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
i have the buckmaster and the monarch 6.5X18. i can't tell a great deal of difference between the two. however i must say i'm dealing with old eyes that don't see well in the first place. i do like the side focus. it seems to be more critically responsive than the bell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have several Monarchs, one 5.5 x 16.5 and four 6.5 x 20's. They are great scopes. For the $$ they are very underrated. Warranty service has been great as well.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have the Buckmaster on my 308 and at the same time I bought a Burris Fullfield II for my 223. They both are 4.5- 14 scopes. Direct comparison: the Burris is far, far clearer and you can see in much lower light. I don't have a Monarch but if you have had one and have been happy with it, go for the better optics. I think the Buckmasters are grossly over rated.
My .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.