Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the day at daylight. 5 degrees and 10 mph winds. Trying to find a cat track. Me, my buddy and 5 lion dogs in a box on the back of the Rhino.

That Rhino sure has a lot of power, lots more than the Mule he used to use, but the enclosed cab on the mule did a lot for the creature (us) comfort. Heavy drifts that my pickup might have trouble with, the Rhino blew over or through 'em. After 3 hours of hitting likely crossing areas in the mountains west of town we were skunked and frozen, had to stop several times to clean blown snow out of the floorboards so he could use the accelerator and the brake.
No luck today, but this is what we were after.
This lion weighed 122 pounds, 6' 10" and about 6 years old. We got him in 2004. Sorry to report no stitches or scars today.
"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." -John in WYO

·
Registered
423 Posts
good luck,.John!!

Man,that's PLENTY big enough cat!!! We haevn't even had any snow over here in my area...and my cat tag is expired anyway...dum-bass FWP split the season this year and you can't buy a tag for BOTH even if you don't kill one during the first season.:mad: ....sure doesn't make any sense to me......but what do i know.
Little bar over in Broadus has a pic of a hunter with a cat that supposedly weighed 202 pounds.....
looks like another big storm headed your way...dig in buddy!!!:D
My #2 son called yesterday while he was stuck in traffic south of Denver and while we talked 4 people got stuck trying to drive over the bank,off the Interstate to get to a frontage road.....he said the first dude was a Jeep and it went in about a 4 foot drift at a 30 degree angle...guess the others thought they'd do better...didn't work!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dana, are you near Broadus? I used to be stationed in Gillette and when I was at the State line, I'd go over to Biddle to get a pop or bottle of water. HWY 59 sure is a narrow little outfit isn't it?

·
Registered
423 Posts
yep,I'm just 40 miles west

of Broadus, in Ashland....I've been trhrough Biddle a few times,stopped at the grocery for a ...uh,cold WATER ...Highway 59 IS kind of narrow and winding..but it beats the hell out of GRAVEL!! You ever get up this way be sure to stop in!!
If you hear of any lion dogs for sale/trade let me know....my neighbor has a couple hundred 1/4 horses for sale/trade.....he's been looking for cat dogs...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll pass your request on to my houndman. He's got one h of a good looking buckskin standing at stud at his ranch, several other horses there too. I hope your cold, uh WATER, was good at Biddle. I leave the, uh WATER, alone when I'm working you know. Not averse to having the occasional one after the guns are cleaned and put away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts