Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am sure others will have differing opinions, and they may have more experience than I, but after preparing both Win and Rem brass (primer pocket ream, case mouth chamfering, cut to length, etc.) I have not noticed any difference between them and Nosler brass. While the Nosler may require less prep, I am not sure it is worth the difference in price. Besides all that prep makes me feel like I am contributing to the accuracy!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Charlie, I've been using it in my .22-250. About the only thing I've noticed so far, 1. None of the flash holes had any LARGE burs on the inside, and 2. They all weighed about the same. I did not notice any improvement in accuracy over my prepped Rem brass. I doubt I'll order any more. Phil

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was told a few months ago over on the benchrest board that this brass is actually made by Winchester and is just "sorted" and marked with a different headstamp....

I don't understand how they sort it and then headstamp it, but that seemed to be the concensus of opinion there.

It's good brass, I've tried it.

It's not as good as Lapua though and I doubt in a varmint rig that you'd ever be able to tell the difference between it and lightly prepped factory brass.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Charlie, I was shooting a 6 XC early last year in 600 yd. IBS BR competetion and was looking for the "best" 22-250 brass I could find to form 6 XC cases from . I had tried Normar 22-250 and had problems with primer pockets stretching and getting loose. I formed about 100 cases and the primer pockets held up very well . I rechambered the 6 XC and gave my 6 XC brass to Dog Buster on this forum for his 6 XC. He would be a good one to ask how it is doing for his rifle .

Rodney

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
How About This Charlie ?

I don't think the Nosler Brass is good enough for dead nuts shooting
or competition shooting, and the Winchester Brass is plenty good
enough for hunting brass. So, if you want to get serious with a
22-250, then buy some .243 Lapua Brass and neck it down to
22-250.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used it, once is the last time however....

Not to say it's not good, because it is.......but with the 100 .223 I received, they all were below SAAMI case length minimum, they all were heavier than my other RP and Win. brass, they all had comporable case weights but with Lapua there is very little of this plus Lapua offers case neck annealing and drilled flash holes so why bother? l.r.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Don, Is the forming done by simply running the 243 brass into a FL 22-250 die? Is there any neck turning required? Thank you, Charlie
I aint going to say it's not possible to form a .22-250 from a .243, but I bet it's a big PIA. Compare the two cases side by side and you'll see what I mean. First you got an extra 1/4" of case you got to hack off, than you'd have to swag that .243 body down to .22-250 size and completly change the shoulder angle. A whole lot or work for very little gain. Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been using the Nosler and Winchester in 22-250. The Nosler seems to require less prep. It's a little heavier more like federal than winchester. If you do a good job at prep it takes an extremely good gun to tell the difference. Probably not worth the extra money, unless you like to just load and shoot, no prep.

·
Registered
735 Posts
That Nosler stuff costs a lot more. It's supposed to be prepped and weigh the same, which supposedly means internal volume is supposed to be the same. Thing is, comparing case weights means nothing unless each one is exactly the same length and each neck has been turned to the same thickness. And even then, caseweight isn't related to internal volume. I did a lot of water volume measuring with .223 brass and found this out for myself. I'd be hugely surprised if you saw even the slightest difference between Nosler brass and say, Winchester.

About making 22-250 from .243......that would be a huge bother and probably wouldn't work anyway. First, the .243 is longer. More important, it has much less body taper so besides being pushed back the shoulder would have to be squeezed quite a bit smaller. Then necked down and trimmed. Maybe neckturned, depending on the chamber. Since the whole point of going to that much trouble would be the presumed advantage of using Lapua brass, a person would absolutely need to know the chamber web dimension. Because still more important is that a .22-250 web is about .262"-.263" while the .243 web is larger at around .266" and a Lapua web is huge at .268"-.269". (Lapua brass won't fit my .243AI chamber) Unless the .22-250 chamber were extremely oversize, a Lapua case wouldn't work no matter what was done to it and the whole thing would be an excercise in frustration.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
You can do it, but I think you need form dies. I have a set that I'm currently using to form 250 AI brass from 308 match. I takes several operations, but makes pretty good cases. Might tru the 243 Lapus myself.

Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.