Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time I have held off getting an AR-15 don’t know why, but for my birthday today I ran to Sportsman’s Warehouse and bought an AR15. I asked the guy what in his honest opinion he thought was the best for the $600-$800 range, and he showed me this. And i walked out with this:, over time I will work on it, and who knows what it will look like in the future. I am happy.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Happy Birthday! Don't know anything about that brand, but most ARs will shoot less than 1 moa, even the carbines like yours. To get best results, you need to use quality commercial bullets and develop loads that it likes. The twist rate is usually stamped on the barrel and that will determine how heavy a bullet you can use successfully. Get a few extra magazines also. i prefer 20 rounders, especailly want to shoot prone or on a bench.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
So, if this is your first Evil Black Rifle, you may not be all that aware of the big push for a ban on ARs and so-called high capacity magazines. Or you may be fully aware and that's why you bought an AR at this time. At any rate, pay attention to TinMan's recommendation and get some mags ordered pronto. I just bought several more myself, partly because the prices are about as low as I've seen and partly just because. Thirty-round Magpul Pmags are available online for $11-$13, so no need to pay more.

I like the skinny, smooth-sided forend. I think you'll like it, too.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Blackpaw, I did a Google for Diamondback Firearms, and there was even a review on American Rifleman from a few years ago. They are made in Florida, and are owned by Taurus. Unless they have changed a lot, is should have a 5.56 NATO chamber and have a 1:9 twist barrel, so bullets from 40gr to 69gr should be about the range. Most of the Hornady VMAX bullets would work great, but also try the Sierra and Nosler bullets for varmints or match, depending on what you want to do. I have 1:9 twist ARs, and those bullets all work fine. The GI 55gr FMJ or 62gr bullets are not as accurate in my experience because they are not as precisely made. For powders, try AA2230, H335 or W748 for powders. Enjoy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another 1 bites the dust...lol
Enjoy it, they are fun
Thank you sir, and this are another “black guns” joining the AR, Brocock Ranger XR and Airgun Technology Uragan Compact in 177. I was offered or got huge discounts on the last two they are joining the stable, and will be my go to dairy pesting setup. Leshiy 2 is in the future. I will probably put the Leopold off my Encore 223 and put it on the AR for a bit of prairie dog if I have time shooting in Wyoming. I love operating in silence for pesting.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I never thought I would own one but SOMEONE brought one to the BBB about 10 years ago and after shooting it, I just had to have one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have an old DPMS Predator I bought before one of the other “issues”. Have plenty of mags and ammo, it like 69’s and 65’s. It sees limited use because of its ability to “eat” so much. I put it on a diet, lol.
I bought several lowers, just because they said I couldn’t in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts