Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much of a designer :rolleyes: so with that outa tha way I made this out of rough saw boards and wrestled with a design to be able to assemble and disassemble with ease. What could be done different than I did? I just slotted all the boards and they slip together. Very steady.. I loaded it with three rifles and I was happy with the way it done. Ok let's hear from ya. Some ½" Delrin would be real nice I thought for the final product but very expensive!
"

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
slotted wood

I have never had much luck with slots near the end of solid wood. A very minor bump can break the wood off the end. Slotted plywood is a lot stronger but doesn't look as good.

There are also a variety of fittings now available for making furniture that can be disassembled. Some of it may work, too. Here is one company.
http://www.selbyhardware.com/k1.htm

Bruce

·
Registered
407 Posts
Looking good....but...

I still favor using my bench vise to hold the rifle. I made a couple carpet padded pieces of wood held together with an piece of old inner tube and place the set-up in the vise. Tighten the handle, but not toooo much and the rifle is held securely. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Norm Abrams would be jealous!

IMHO I would make the slots narrower to help "lock" the forend in place so it won't wobble.
And since you have spots for 3 rifles, you could customize one or two slots for a particular rifle, say an AR.
I would also line the cut outs with a material that would protect wood stocks. (I'm sure you already thought of that) A product that would work nicely is the adhesive spongy tape that is applied between a pick up box and a topper or shell. When it wears out, just rip it off and apply a new strip.

Looks like a neat idea. Hawkeye

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm posting a pic for Keith Candler of a cleaning cradle/ rifle parking lot.

Measurements are 17 1/2" wide x 31 1/2" long x 7 1/2" tall

Legs are 36" long, perfect for standing up and cleaning rifles at the proper angle so that you are not bending your cleaning rods.

You notice that the front of the box has the forearm in a slanting down position to allow cleaning solvents to run out of the barrel. Also, pattern is slightly off center so that you can put cleaning equipment on the left side. Pattern is for 3 1/2" wide forearm on the McMillan Benchrest stock.

I cleaned two 243 AI's that weighed 26-28lbs and two other rifles that weighed 16 lbs each in this Cleaning rack, it was very sturdy.

I carried this cleaning wrack on every dog hunt, legs of course unscrew and box does not take up much room due to the fact that you can fill it full of your other equipment. Keith

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.