Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now im building one for myself over the next couple months
Now right now I'm thinking 243win
I've always loved the cal.. but kinda thinking 6.5 creedmore....or 6 credmore i have zero experience with those so ..what do you guys think?
Barrel life is not an issue.

·
Registered
12,288 Posts
Big G...don't be afraid to build a creed...
All the 1s I've seen shot shoot good. I am a 243 man myself but just
ain't had a chance to get a creed yet. Donnie

Undsrdog

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
George, I have both a 243 and the 6.5 creedmore, like them both but the 243 get way more use than the 6.5. Just like it better, really great on 'yotes!!!
Have a good time with which ever you decide!
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I have a couple of bolt action .243 Win, and like them a lot. Make sure to try to get a faster twist barrel (like maybe a 1:8), so you can shoot longer/heavier bullets. Accuracy on my 1:10 tops out at about 95gr.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I would take the.243 over the 6 CM, supposedly the 6CM is super accurate, but so are all the .243's that I have built/shot in the past 30+years. On another note, if you look at all the varmint, benchrest and accuracy websites, you see a awful lot of 6CM.s for sale. I have noticed a lot of folks building them, then putting them up for sale in about 4-5 weeks.You also have a lot more proven bullets and more brass to choose from with the .243. I would take a 6XC over either one of them, most accurate 6mm I have shot, especailly at longer distances. Out to 200 you cant beat a 6ppc. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have a friend that is a barrel maker and back in the day shot on the AMU Team. I was there to have a 6X47 Lapua barrel made. He had a barrel laying there that was purple with sparkles on it. I asked him what on earth that was? He started laughing. He said all the guys were starting to show up with the latest and greatest new cartridge at the Highpower matches.( and there I stand getting ready to order my wildcat barrel) So he made a 243 barrel and painted it purple to beat them with, which he did. One of my dumb moves was selling my 243.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ever consider a 6MM Rem? It's the "forgotten" .243/6MM but was never given a chance by the so-called shooters. I've had too many 243's, none of which was a 'dog' for accuracy, but all I have left is a 6MM Remington in a Model 600 rifle. It, too, IS very accurate! I just don't run with the crowd; never did. I even have a .257 Roberts AI built on an XP100 receiver with a 15&15/16" barrel with a custom stock/grip! Of course, still a pistol! I wouldn't 'waste' an XP100 receiver to build a rifle! A rifle is too easy to hit things with!
Ill. Codger/Darrel

·
Administrator
2,988 Posts
I have had three 6 mm Rems. over the years and now have two. I have always preferred them over my 243's and I personally feel they are more accurate.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
In today’s market, not knowing If/when things will get better, availability of ammo and reloading components might be a consideration.

·
Registered
12,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In today’s market, not knowing If/when things will get better, availability of ammo and reloading components might be a consideration.
Right..the 243 wins that race too.

·
Registered
12,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ever consider a 6MM Rem? It's the "forgotten" .243/6MM but was never given a chance by the so-called shooters. I've had too many 243's, none of which was a 'dog' for accuracy, but all I have left is a 6MM Remington in a Model 600 rifle. It, too, IS very accurate! I just don't run with the crowd; never did. I even have a .257 Roberts AI built on an XP100 receiver with a 15&15/16" barrel with a custom stock/grip! Of course, still a pistol! I wouldn't 'waste' an XP100 receiver to build a rifle! A rifle is too easy to hit things with!
Ill. Codger/Darrel
6mm rem is a great round im a fan.
But no one i know of offers a barrel for the ar10..might be a tad long for the platform?

·
Administrator
11,729 Posts
I vote 243...or fast twist 22-250! I think a 22-250 in a 9 twist running 53 or 60 gr Vmax would be awesome coyote medicine. I think you're right, the 6mm Rem is too long.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Go the other way and get a bigger bore. My large frame AR is in 338 federal. If I were to go smaller it would be in 6 creed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts