Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are way to expensive for my wallet. I do not hunt coyotes that often, maybe half dozen times a year but when I do I would like a caller of some sort. Are there other callers that are affordable on a tight budget and good for the occassional coyote hunt?

·
Registered
460 Posts
El-Cheapo at VarmintAl's or Western Rivers

They are way to expensive for my wallet. I do not hunt coyotes that often, maybe half dozen times a year but when I do I would like a caller of some sort. Are there other callers that are affordable on a tight budget and good for the occassional coyote hunt?
http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

Scroll down and you will find the electronic caller unit that he put together from Radioshack. It has a lot of advantages because you can rig a cheapo MP3 player up to it and play any of about a thousand sounds and combos. I use something similar, but the unit was an older Stewart call.

Otherwise, there are some smaller units out there. But I don't know how far those little ones will project the sound. There's a website called http://www.allpredatorcalls.com

The Western Rivers calls of which there was a link as a sponsor of this web site has a unit for about $16 and are available predominantly for coyotes. Western Rivers has a lot of sounds for MP3's available on their web site as well.

Good Luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not everybody wants or needs a top of the line Foxpro. I would be looking for a used or new non remote Foxpro that someone is selling to get a new FX3 or FX5. These come in models which have 8 or 16 sounds which in my opinion will suffice. Also these are still Foxpro quality.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The cheaper version of FoxPro is good

I had one for a while, model 38, predator sounds. I paid $150 for it, new. No remote though. Good value for the money.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am killing coyotes every weekend with a.................

mouthcall that cost about $9.00. I have had 2 electronics. Killed 1 coyote with them. I have killed around 600 with a mouth call that cost me about $9.00. Have been killing coyotes by calling with the same mouth call the past several weekends. There is nothing "majical" about electronics. Spend time hunting the coyote and learn where they live.
You can't call them if they are not there.
Kirk

·
Registered
460 Posts
The key here I think is....

mouthcall that cost about $9.00. I have had 2 electronics. Killed 1 coyote with them. I have killed around 600 with a mouth call that cost me about $9.00. Have been killing coyotes by calling with the same mouth call the past several weekends. There is nothing "majical" about electronics. Spend time hunting the coyote and learn where they live.
You can't call them if they are not there.
Kirk

you hunt them a lot. For those that hunt coyotes less frequently, I don't see the problem if they want to use electronics. Because they may not get proficient with a mouth call, maybe it would just be a waste of $9.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who makes this $9 mouth call? Where can I get more tips on how to use it correctly? I have had a mouth call, forget who made it, but couldn't get any noise out of it that sounded like a wounded animal. I have also tried mouth calls for other critters and can't seem to get any decent sounds from them, that is one of the reasons I would like an electronic caller but not one that breaks my bank.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I got a call as a door prize at a VHA Jamboree. It a FlextoneModel FTR in Dying Rabbit flavor. Made of very soft rubber, you can compress it with your lips to get a wide variety of sounds, from gravelly rabbit to shrieky bird. I really like it. So do the yotes and foxes.

Flextone at www.wileyduck.com or 601-664-1185

·
Registered
515 Posts
Gary, I'm in the same boat as you, except I call less than that... I hope that will change. I put together a caller for about $90.00 from Radio Shack, using a power horn that has a built in amplifier plus some speaker wire, you can plug in a cassette player, CD, MP3 etc. I also bought a hand held Cass Creek Caller for like $25.00 that works great. They now offer a remote model for like $50.00. All these can be plugged into the power horn. Only problem is that mine is not remote.. limited by the length of the speaker cord and can be a PIA. You can buy stuff to make it remote... but then your getting close to the price of a used Foxpro. You can also find many great mouth calls from here:
http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/

I hope this will help you. Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've used electronic (JS512 boat anchor). But I do better with my old Sceery variable pitch mouth caller. You can make a wide variety of sounds with a little practice. It only weighs 1 ounce & seems to call fox/bobcat better for me than the electronics. One thing I don't like about electronic calls is the fact that you must move more to place caller, find a hiding spot, then collect it before moving on. The mouth call is always there at the ready & makes me more stealthy. Besides, I get more satisfaction from calling them up myself. Maybe I'm missing the boat on quantity, but it works for me. Like others have said, spend $10 - $15 on a good mouth call, practice a little, & give it a try. You may surprise yourself. You don't have to spend $500 to effectively hunt predators, provided you have a weapon already.

Good luck,
HS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both electronic and mouth calls have a place in your calling. But its cheaper to learn to call with a mouth call and it gives you a lot of satisfaction to fool them on your own. Pick nearly any commercial call (I learned on Burnham Brothers calls and they are still good) abd get a tape or video on calling and just get started. Byron Souths videos are good; his Vol I gives a lot of good tips on calling including sounds and calls. This can be a lot of fun and when you call in that first critter its all worth it. Enjoy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You don't have to imitate certain type of animal......

you just need to sound like something that is hurting REAL BAD!

I never go into the woods without a mouth call in my pocket or around my neck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Who makes this $9 mouth call? Where can I get more tips on how to use it correctly? I have had a mouth call, forget who made it, but couldn't get any noise out of it that sounded like a wounded animal. I have also tried mouth calls for other critters and can't seem to get any decent sounds from them, that is one of the reasons I would like an electronic caller but not one that breaks my bank.
I just looked at the El cheapo caller at Varmint Al's. It is so simple that I could do it. And, I'm not a caveman. (If you have not seen the Geico car insurance commercials that will make no sense.)

Not to offend anyone who uses a mouth call and sounds more like a coyote than a coyote, I do not think it is that difficult to use a mouth call. I am sure that there is a wealth of knowledge on this board that members are willing to share.

I went crow hunting with a friend last week and he wanted to try calling. It sounded more like a crow vomiting in a trash can, but here came the crows :)

Good luck which ever method you choose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts