Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all honesty, we drivers in Oklahoma are just not use to this kind of weather. Add the SUV's and 4x4's into the equation and you have real problems. Certainly, the SUV's and 4x4's can get around on the snow and ice very well, but the one thing most drivers forget about is they can't stop any better the a normal vehicle.

The local Fox station just reported that Tulsa's EMSA (ambulance service), responded to 65 accident calls yesterday and transported 22 people for injuries.

My boss has the right idea. She feels it better to shut down the shop, and still pay wages then have an employee injuried trying to get in during conditions of hazardous driving conditions. Plus, the added hardship of having to repair or replace a damaged vehicle.

Temps are expected to stay below freezing all day, and more snow predicted to go ontop of the nearly 3 inches we have now.

I know 3 inches are not much. I've been places were 3 inches would not even be noticed, but considering we often go through a winter with less then an inch of snow, 3 inches might as well be 12 inches. Especially when it is packed and glazed over on the roads.

Drive carefully, be safe.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
been tough on this side too....

I am also in the feed business (besides the farm, ranch, and hunting lodge), and those cows need to be fed. I have anywhere from 2-5 trucks (semi's) of feed scheduled for nearly every week day this winter. When the roads get slick (like now), it's tough. Then they get stacked up on delivery and production. Have 2 today and 2 tomorrow, guess I'll get out there and GET 'R DONE. :eek:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not much better

North of you, and we should be used to it. I think most folks around here, switch off their brains when the weather does anything out of the ordinary. I drove into Wichita this morning on the turnpike, in the fog. Was damn thankful to get there in one piece. Wasn't much better coming home this afternoon. Try to stay warm, spring's not that far away.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
407 Posts
Weather?

Mortis,

I'm a native of OK, but lived in the mountain states (CO, UT, WY) for much of my adult life.

We just don't get much winter weather here in OK.

As for the poor drivers, unfortunately they are with us 12 months of the year.

Add a little snow and/or ice and it's a mess.

Some of them look like potential Darwin award candidates (in my opinion).

·
Registered
452 Posts
ok weather

Yes it is a little different this winter . I am a rural carrier and not a truck driver any more a little different but no matter what the weather is i have to go now, rain slet snow hail toronado we deliver as they keep reminding us.
I am like bruce got to get her don.

Pigpen
________
R90S

·
Registered
452 Posts
ok weather

I am one of those that must go no matter what the weather is doing out there. Little bit of a change from truck driving . Still like bruce, got to
gether done as they say. Which it is about that time again to go deliver the mail one more day.
pigpen
________
VTR1000

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the onlookers.......

There is no doubt in my mind that out there, in the ether of the internut, some reader of this thread is mumbling to themselves how big of wimps we seem down here cause of a little snow. And, they just might be right.:rolleyes:

In a couple months we'll start into our real weather season, which from experience, can scare the bejesus our of folks that were not raised here.

Thunderstorms with straight line winds upwards of 100 miles per hour.

Tornados which run in packs of 3 or more.

If history is correct, another major ice storm before the first day of spring. And we have had them after the first day of spring also.

Winds in late March, early April which drives grass fires like the Blues Brothers on the way to pay the Orphanage Taxes.:eek:

Did I mention Tornados?

Even some of our Spring thunderstorms can frighten the uninitiated.

There is a reason the Government has one of it's largest weather research stations here in Oklahoma.

Will Rogers said it best. "If you do not like the weather here in Oklahoma, wait five minutes. It'll change."

I'm certain I left something out, but that's ok. You get the idea.:D

I'm at work. Roads in good shape locally, but our parking lot is an ice field.

Hope everyone has a safe and warm Friday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.