Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Mr John Beauchamp and I went to our local range in Baton Rouge today. The conditions were less than ideal as the wind was blowing 14 mph and gusting to at least 21 mph...conditions were a little unstable. We went to shoot my Old Savage Model 11 in 204 and my new CZ 452 American in 204 The CZ is a pleasure to shoot. The set trigger is fine and I found out she likes both 32 and 39g Sierras. John managed to shoot a couple of good groups in these conditions for a lightweight carry gun. The best 5 shot group was just under 1 inch with four of these in at .6 inch. The barrel cleans up so easy and there is hardly any copper at all. Then we busted out my Old Savage Model 11 with the accutrigger in 204. This gun has a prairie dog season and a half on it....more than a thousand rounds down the tube. It is not near as fun to shoot as the CZ....but it sure is accurate. In these conditions with my fine shooting setup that includes a bench the wiggles when the wind whips as well as a torn target stapled to a 2X4 for a windflag....John cranked out a 5 shot group of .5 and another at .65 inches. Now this particular Savage is also a copper mine. I get a ton of copper out of her even after 15 rounds but she will shoot right through it. It seems like she would have smoothed out by now. I am thinking of trying some Dansac in her next. I had a great 3 shot group but those last two got me:)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
durned ol' Savages will shoot won't they. Keep on and you'll have John totally hooked and then we won't have any trouble dragging him off to SD.
Good shooting, both of you.

Rick

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
You may or may not have been aware that you were in the presence of greatness when Mr. John Beauchamp agreed to evaluate your 204's. He cleaned some clocks, including mine, about two weekends ago at Buck Creek. Quite a demonstration of 100-yard chigger shooting. Ask him about that and watch him grin like unto a possum.:D

As for that Savage being a coppermine, that's a good thing, Cliff. With copper bringing high dollar these days and with Savages being so cheap, that gun will pay for itself in no time! :rolleyes:

Tell that snake killing offspring of yours that the old Kentucky Fisherman says hi. And tell him to bring a sharp knife next spring, cause he's big enough for me to teach him about cleaning his own meat. ;)

Mike

PS. You don't have any good fishing contacts down around the FL Keys, do you? I'm gonna be in the Lauderdale area Feb. 8-14 and would like to do a little fishing. Only catch is that those charter boys want more to fish for one afternoon than I paid for my whole bass rig. Something about that just ain't right, y'know? Here I am holding my Savage egg gun together with rubber bands and these charter boat captains want me to pay $1,000 for a day of fishing. Woooeee!:eek:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Skip The Fishing in Florida

come on over to Louisiana and get a bow fishing charter for 1/8 the price., it will be money well spent ask WD Swift or MLM. -Cliff-

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Only catch is that those charter boys want more to fish for one afternoon than I paid for my whole bass rig. Something about that just ain't right, y'know? Here I am holding my Savage egg gun together with rubber bands and these charter boat captains want me to pay $1,000 for a day of fishing. Woooeee!
$1000!!! Sheesh! That's nuts! FWIW, I have a friend that charters fishing excursions on Lake Michigan for salmon and stripers etc. He ports out of Walkegan IL, and I believe his going rate it around $350 (or was a couple seasons ago). If you like salmon (I love it!) it is a hoot!

P.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Good shootn' Cliff

The fellows are right, ole John is a heck of a shot now. So you picked a good fella to sort 'em out with you. I sure do like those CZ's though in 204.

Yo KY Fisherman, a grand for a fishin' trip!!!?? I'm not saying that is a bad deal as I dunno what (all) you're getting for that ;) :rolleyes: but Cliff is absolutely right about the bowfishing trip. I bet we got close to 200# of Redfish in the boat that night and talk about good eating OMG, excellent. WD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts