Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Started with a pre-64 Model 70 in 220 Swift....
Shot a post 64 model 70 with a heavy barrel chambered in 22-250 for a spell.
In the last few years, been sporting a 204, 223 & a 257 Roberts.

///

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
We shoot old and new school calibers, I guess. .223, .204, 17 Fireball, 17 HMR, and occasionally .22 WMR. We have shot a few p dogs with .22lr and .17 HM2 but don't take them along anymore. The .224 Valkyrie is looming just around the corner. Hopefully, this year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The ranch I've shot on for the last decade is might near a 100 sections (100 sq mile) so we kill a lot of PDs.
The owners ask that we kill a minimum of a hundred a day per shooter, and we get it done most days.
Shots range from a few yards to ever on the horizon. I'm thinkin' on a new build, maybe in 25 caliber for those
Sierra 90 gr Blitz Kings....Somewhere's in the 3200 fps range. It's always windy ;)

///

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I run a plain 223 Rem in a Win Heavy Varmint or 'stealth' rifle, a 223 AI in a Rem 700 custom, and I load for and my sis shoots a 22-250 Stock Rem Varmint gun. I use three main bullets:
Hornady 40 VMAX, Speer 50 TNT's, and Calhoon 42 gn "double hollow point", as he calls them . All three do less than minute of pd, and the Ackley does scary one hole groups on on occasion with all three bullets. So, I guess I'm 'old school.
On the Win Heavy varmint: Be careful if you camo your gun. I've lost it twice in the weeds and took 10-15 min searching the area to locate it......Or, dont' leave it to go talk to someone. .. PIcked the colors of Rust-o-leum paint to match eastern Colo fields, and it works.....!!! Sigh..........

-West out.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
The ranch I've shot on for the last decade is might near a 100 sections (100 sq mile) so we kill a lot of PDs.
The owners ask that we kill a minimum of a hundred a day per shooter, and we get it done most days.
Shots range from a few yards to ever on the horizon. I'm thinkin' on a new build, maybe in 25 caliber for those
Sierra 90 gr Blitz Kings....Somewhere's in the 3200 fps range. It's always windy ;)

///
Dave Keith: I've been having pretty good luck with a custom 2506 AI. First custom gun I got. Learned a lot with it. During the component drought in 2012-13, ran onto some Speer 87 grain TNT's. They made the gun << MOA, with frequent one-holers at 100 yds. I'm out to the far west fence now, with about 30% hits at lasered 420 yds. Gun requires careful reloading, but I hope the barrel will last through the box of 750 I got couple years ago. They chrono at ~3760 from a 12 twist bbl.
-West out.

·
Premium Member
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

///
6 mm’s have a higher BC , ballistic coefficient than the 25 cal. Something yo consider if you are trying to beat the wind

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dave Keith: I've been having pretty good luck with a custom 2506 AI. First custom gun I got. Learned a lot with it. During the component drought in 2012-13, ran onto some Speer 87 grain TNT's. They made the gun << MOA, with frequent one-holers at 100 yds. I'm out to the far west fence now, with about 30% hits at lasered 420 yds. Gun requires careful reloading, but I hope the barrel will last through the box of 750 I got couple years ago. They chrono at ~3760 from a 12 twist bbl.
-West out.
I too like the 257 87 gr TNT....Shot a few in my 25-06 this morning...
Haven't hit on the sweet spot with which powder it's gonna like as of yet.

Fixin' to order a Shilen barrel for a 257 Wby. got half a 5 gal bucket of brass.

///

·
Premium Member
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Fixin' to order a Shilen barrel for a 257 Wby. got half a 5 gal bucket of brass.

///
I had a Ruger 77 Varmint in 25-06 back in the day. It shot the 87's very well.
Like the 100 also, but did not have the correct twist for the 117's

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Old school calibers all the way. Haven't been out West for a few years, but I used mostly 221 Fireball, 223 Rem, 220 Swift, 243 Win, and to a lesser degree 22 Hornet and 17 Remington. Usually brought multiple 223 Rem, to rotate when they got hot.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts

///
I'm running them atop 63.5 grain IMR 7828. This is a tad over Speer's max for the std 2506. IMR 4831 was good too, in the 58-60 grain range. I'm working up some R-25 loads also. Including the usual caveat: this is in MY gun, and an Ackley, so obviously, work up your own loads. Expensive and noisy pd kill, lol, but fun trying.

This bbl is also a Shilen, # 7 on a 725 action. Needless to say, I didn't know what I was doing when I got this one built. Heavy sucker. Like I said, I learned a lot..!!
-West out.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The gang that I go with shoot a mix of new and old school. I have shot 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 243 and I even built a varmint weight in 6.5-284 when I was trying to get into the 1000 yard club. I have pretty much stuck with the 223 in later years. It seems like the bigger guns scare the dogs worse. I also have some remorse if I get into a big dog town. I'll start thinking about using up 25 or 50% of barrel life in one afternoon.

One of our gang shoots a 22 Hornet and recently rebarreled his 223 to 20 practical. Another shoots a 22BR and a 6mm Tomcat. Two other guys shoot 223's.

Everybody but me also shoots one of the 17 rimfires. The first time we all went together they were praising their 17's so much that I almost stopped at a Walmart and bought one. I kept telling them about the wind. They started with their 17's and quickly put them away.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Mine is a mix of both, leaning toward 21st century chamberings. I tend to take most shots at 1-200 yards and don't waste ammo past 400 unless there is nothing else available. My favorite walkabout rifle is an XP actioned 20 Vartarg. I haven't kept a round count, but it has to be well past 3000. At the distances I choose, my hit ratio is over 90%. Second favorite is a Kelbly Atlas 223AI. I take a minimum of 500 rounds for each and usually don't bring home more than a handful of each. Also, shoot a 20 Practical & 20-223 AI. Old school stuff would be a 220 Swift and 222 Rem Mag.

Rick

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
If I was going again and i won't be, I would be taking nothing but .204 caliber. I like the other .20s but I don't have any.
The .204 I have left will not shoot the 40 VMax which is my choice of bullets by far. I would have to try to buy that one from Sam.
I miss the days of Walking and Stalking.

Reactions: birdog

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
I got to say I shot the crap out of my savage 12fv 204 last year. I pretty much kept it hot most of the last day. I like my plain ol .223 as well. My 20vt pretty much went through all its ammo last year as well.
My 20 tac I had feeding issues with in the AR but it shot well. I have a bolt gun barrel that might get used. I have a 22/250 and a few 40g vmax left I might load for some very high speed carnage.
I don't think I took any 6mm or bigger last time....if I did I don't think it got shot.
I do have a 12 twist brx and some 70g Noslers that would probably do well.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I can't say I've ever been P Dog hunting but I've busted a few ground hogs in my time with my 722/222. My hunting buddy Jack passed in 2010 and I haven't shot it since, been in the safe. I think next range trip I'm taking it with me, I'm sure it will still shoot as good as before. I sure miss Jack.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
If I was going again and i won't be, I would be taking nothing but .204 caliber. I like the other .20s but I don't have any.
The .204 I have left will not shoot the 40 VMax which is my choice of bullets by far. I would have to try to buy that one from Sam.
I miss the days of Walking and Stalking.
The .204s have been favorites of ours for some time. Julie turned a .204 CZ 527 into a smooth bore in SD. She'll keep shooting until the barrel begins to droop. The Savage .204s we have now won't shoot 40 VMax worth diddly but they love 32s and 39 SBKs. .204 was my first choice until I got into .17 Fireball.

Reactions: birdog

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dave Keith said:

6 mm’s have a higher BC , ballistic coefficient than the 25 cal. Something yo consider if you are trying to beat the wind
I agree about the BC on the 6mm....the last 6s I saw on the shelf were 55 grainers, not much BC there.
At last count, I have a few thousand or so 25 caliber bullets...That's would be my reason for going that way.

Kinda like the idea of a 6-06 and those Sierra .243 TMK 95 grain w/.5 BC.
But, still right now having to work around what's on hand
Dave

///

1 - 19 of 19 Posts