Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love them. My two favorite varmint guns are a Low Wall in .218 Mashburn Bee, and a High Wall in .219 Wasp. Anybody else shooting the old guns?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Oldies

Just sold a set of C & H forming dies for 219 Donaldson Wasp on e-bay that I had with some gun stuff from an estate sale. Never had anything in that caliber but it looks like a good cartridge. I have some lever actions, Marlin 93 in 32-40, old 1894 in 32-20 and 44-40, 25-20 cast bullets for and reload. Am looking for a marbles tang sight for the Marlin 93 in 32-40.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I shoot an 1886 Winchester in .33WCF for Lever Action Silhouette. Also, a Savage 23d, made in 1932, .22 Hornet, one of my favorite PD guns. Old is good!:D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm shooting a .32-20 Winchester in an old Colt DA revolver; not PD accurate - especially with those sights and my eyes, but it's a fun one to shoot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rem M25A / 25-20WCF

Also have a No.1 that is a switch barrel from 218 Bee to a 25-20WCF. Not an old rifle but in the same spirit.

DB

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
A friend of mine had a Wasp in an 88 Commission rifle (Mauser) that someone had converted many years ago. He was pretty careful with that old timer, which is why he still has his fingers, I guess.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
old wildcat's

wow yes I started with a custom pre 64 a 1953 custom 220 swift wildcat with a 10X unertl now i just cant get enough ... a m64 anschutz w/ a 20X unertle varminter, a 219 don wasp with a 36 br leupold , aanschutz 1533 manlicher a browning safari in 222 and just got a wright's gun shop custom 25-06 built in 1964 with a 20 unertl programer with a canjar i do love the old custom stuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mistergreenjeans, that is quite a stable you have there. Which rifle gets the most of your time?

·
Registered
519 Posts
22-250

My father has a .22-250 Vaminter, built on a 98 Mauser action with an Apex barrel, double set triggers, 10 power Weaver, in a beautiful stock of birdseye maple. The gun is probably in realm of 60 years old, at least. It was the first centerfire I ever shot and at 7 or 8 years old I was impressed to say the least. Must be what started my obssesion with the damn things.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I Have A 219 .224 Donaldson Wasp

I have a 219 Donaldson Wasp (in .224 caliber) that I have fireformed
50 rounds of brass for. It has a blueprinted 722 Remington Action,
Krieger Barrel, 40X modified trigger (2 ounces), McMillan Stock, and
this thing is a shooter. I was impressed by the fireforming loads. I
just need time to get out this spirng and get some serious shooting
with it. The 219 Donaldson Wasp was one of the very early bench-
rest rounds. I think most of the early cases were made from the 30-30.
I made my cases from 30 Americans. Really neat looking case. I guess
I like something different than is commonly available is probably why I
had this rifle built. Looking forward to putting it through the paces
enjoying this great old round.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got a 1885 Hi Wall in 219 AI that's pretty neat, a 1898 Krag converted to single shot in 218 Mashburn Bee, and a 1903-A3 built in the 50's in 22 Varminter, still have the Hollywood dies. Sort of like the older ones myself.

Chuck

·
Registered
27 Posts
L. C. Smith

I don't have a lot of combinations simply because I have a stockpile of what I do use. Anyway I load 28.5 BLC2 under a 50 gr Sierra HPBT. It gives me a respectable 1/2 at 3265, not bench rest quality but the ground squirrels don't know that. When I have to change bullets I will most likely go to a V-Max. I could probably load somewhat hoter, but really don't need it. Check out Load Data .com there are a lot of loads for the standard Zipper there.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've got a 219 Donaldson Wasp and a Mashburn Bee as well. I haven't had either one out of the closet in years. Of just old cartridges I have the 218 Bee standard, 22 Hornet, 25/20, 25/35, 32/20, 38/40, 38/55/, 351 autoloader, and 45-70. I also have a very old 8x 48R which is in the schutzen rifle configuration and made by Saur and Sons of Germany. I'm sure everybody has a 30/30 and 32 Win Spec. I prefer the old poppers more than the new hotrods. Guess I'm showin muh age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi to all, mostly I shoot an old stevens 414 , I have a fondness for old bolt guns too. Recently picked up a Check Mauser in 219 Donaldson. I have a bag of new 25-35 brass and reloading dies, but no forming dies. Anybody have a set of forming dies to sell or maybe recommendation on where to get? I understand there are at least two variations long includes length of rim and the original shorter. I have an old 10x Unertl on this with a canjar trigger. I really want to send a few down range with this . I've heard a lot of good things about the 219 wasp. I did purchase some premade brass but is was made for long chamber . thanks Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Stevens 441/2 falling block in 22 hornet. It has a been re-barreled with a douglas barrel. It is a sweet shooter, easily shooting 1/2 inch groups with 40 grain V-Max or the (sob) discontinued 40 gr. Barnes varminator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 219 Donaldson Wasp (in .224 caliber) that I have fireformed
50 rounds of brass for. It has a blueprinted 722 Remington Action,
Krieger Barrel, 40X modified trigger (2 ounces), McMillan Stock, and
this thing is a shooter. I was impressed by the fireforming loads. I
just need time to get out this spirng and get some serious shooting
with it. The 219 Donaldson Wasp was one of the very early bench-
rest rounds. I think most of the early cases were made from the 30-30.
I made my cases from 30 Americans. Really neat looking case. I guess
I like something different than is commonly available is probably why I
had this rifle built. Looking forward to putting it through the paces
enjoying this great old round.
I shot my dad's last summer in SD. It was a laser beam. It's ballistics are incredible for the amount of recoil. 411 yards with 5mph wind was my best.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Old calibers in old guns.

LC.I got bit years ago by the old bug. I guess that goes with my age. I have a 219 Zipper Imp. in a high wall. Also thinking about a high wall in 25 Krag and a Stevens falling block in 32-40. Those pld cartridges are a lotta of fun. Bandit

1 - 20 of 28 Posts