Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we had topic on reloading components and the lack there of these days I thought someone might be interested in this. These are components I have from days gone by never to be seen again.

A partial box of Remington Primers in a wooden tray, a box of the original Remington 80gr HP Power lokt bullets, a box of 85gr Sierra Sptitzers from their original plant in Whittier, Calif. with a chance to win a Sierra Expert Rifleman Award in the box. I also have three boxes of old Alcan Fiber Wads, and I have 750 W23678 20 wads for the old All American target hulls that I gave $1.29 per bag for when I bought 2000 of them.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Those items sure have been around for a while.
I have never seen Primers in a wooden tray and I have been reloading since about 1963. Off and On.
There is a market for these old antique components....just ask Ken.

Reactions: mrmurl

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I had some green boxes of Sierra bullets labeled Santa Fe Springs, CA. Used to get Winchester WSP for $7.50 per thousand back in 1992.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
When stored proper I have no reason to believe old primers wouldn’t last as long as, wellll, KRations.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
At a show a couple of years ago, I bought bag of .303 to shoot in my Enfield and P14. They were cheap and from the 1940's. Took one of them apart, and they were cordite strands and Berdan primed. The did go off, but were very slow to ignite, bordering on a hang fire. Don't know if it was the powder or the primer.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Got some hand swaged 62gr 6mm bullets by walt Berger from 1982 shot probably 300 have 200 or so left...some of the best bullets I've ever seen ...ive had nothing worthy to shoot them in years.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The 80 and 85 gr bullets are death on WV whitetails, I know from experience.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Have some primers in wood trays but not marked what they are for, bought some Hodgen 375 ball powder in a large barrel for a dollar a pound 50 years ago and it went bad years ago and poured it out into a big circle on a gravel spot and it flamed up really high for a short time

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Bruce Eakins was nice enough to send me some 8mm brass a while back. The only ammo I had for my K98 was Romanian Ammo and could have been from WW 2. The powder is some irregular chunky stuff that doesn't even look like powder.
They will Fire but it splits the neck of the Brass every time.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
JR, look up "Season Cracking", on Google or if you have Col. Hatcher's Notebook. Ammo that has been stored near or in stables from horses and mules. Brass gets stress corroded by the animal urine which contains ammonia compounds. In WW1, it only happened during the winter since the ammo was kept warmer near the animals, and hence became 'Season Cracking'.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I loaded some specials about 3 years ago and was using primers with 89 cent / box sticker on them. They worked fine. Have several partial cans of powder (metal) from probably 68-73 when I worked part-time in gun store when I was on police dept. Probably wouldn't try them...LOL
I have used some pretty old primers and never had a problem. I have a lot of those old bullets from Sierra, Speer and Hornady.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
When I started shooting 9mm again 4 or 5 years ago after I bought a new 9mm, I dug out some handloads of 147gr FMJ I loaded earlier. The load label from the MTM box said I loaded them on 7/23/93. They worked fine.

·
Administrator
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In times like these I am glad we have components we can use. I have a carton with 700 Rem 9-1/2's in that I bought in 1979 that I can tap into if need be. I have no doubt they will work fine.

·
Administrator
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TinMan, I had forgotten I also have a box of 75HP's from Santa Fe Springs, Calif.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Years ago, I worked for a company that had a plant in Santa Fe Springs, and I had to go there 4 or 5 times a year. So, that name always sticks in my mind and I check the box address. Then when I lived in KC area, I bought thousands of factory seconds from Sierra in Sedalia, but those were always purchased in bulk in brown paper bags, and never saw a green box.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts