Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rem 700 7mm08 w/26"HB, just measured chamber with a Sinclair chamber length gage/ stoney point OAL gage. Reading was 2.055" Does this seem about average ? With manual recommendations for trim length of 2.025" and max case length of 2.035", What is correct trim length for my chamber ? Do I match the length of the reading I got even though it is longer than published max length ? Am trying for best accuracy with my rifle, any help would be appreciated.
TIA, Jay Brown

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would trim .010" shorter than your chamber's measurement (trim to 2.045".) If you're going this route, however, do keep an eye on 'em and trim before they hit your max length of 2.055".

I also used a Sinclair tool in my factory Rem 700 VSSF .22-250 and Win M70 .223. Both had chambers significantly longer than published max. Wasn't a problem at all.

Will it contribute to better accuracy? Well, I think "maybe" but I wouldn't expect much. Just another link in the long accuracy chain.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You know the chamber length. Measure your brass....it'll be a lot shorter. Since brass can't be made longer, your trim length will be to not trim it. You'll probably never have to trim it. Distance between the casemouth and the end of the chamber is like adding freebore.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a rem 700 7mm08 w/26"HB, just measured chamber with a Sinclair chamber length gage/ stoney point OAL gage. Reading was 2.055" Does this seem about average ? With manual recommendations for trim length of 2.025" and max case length of 2.035", What is correct trim length for my chamber ? Do I match the length of the reading I got even though it is longer than published max length ? Am trying for best accuracy with my rifle, any help would be appreciated.
TIA, Jay Brown
Unless you need the extra length for bullet grip/alignment just go with the specs in your manual. That way you don't have to worry about your brass streching/flowing to the end of your chamber and pinching your bullet and blowing up your rifle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.