Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we were at Bruce’s last weekend, we met a gentleman named Carl who was a big fan of the Ruger Model 77’s. He has several of them ranging from 22 Hornet to 7mm Mag and beyond. He had a 25-06 with him on Saturday which he said has been his truck gun for 20years. I should’ve gotten a close-up picture of it just to show how well-worn it is. We were shooting steel at 200, 300, and 400 in a 20+mph wind. Carl took the Ruger out of the Ranger, sat it on the sand bag and proceeded to hit the 400yd coyote silhouette on the first shot.
Sky Cloud Plant community Table Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I was "Thinking About" a ruger American in .204 since they are light, short, and handy to haul around.
After my neighbor brought one in .223 for me to help him Zero....I am sticking with my AR-15.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I presently own about 8 Ruger 77's (including the 2 250-3000's that I stared and gave to the twins "several " years ago). Also have 3 77-22's , one LR, one 22 mag and one 22 Hornet. I really like them. I have traded for several Rugers since I acquired these of later model and have swapped them all off. That being said I don't think I would ever build a custom rifle on a Ruger action....:eek:

Reactions: 45TAJ

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I'm not a huge Ruger fan, but do have some. I built up 2 10-22s and bought a custom 77-22 that started life as an all-weather 22lr and has a custom walnut stock (Weimer) on it. For CF rifles, a No.3 in 22 Hornet and a tang safety M77 in 458 Win Mag.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
I’ve had a dozen or so 10/22s in a variety of calibers. Down to 4 of them, 1 Charger, and have/had 3 dogs named Ruger. Does that count?

Oh yeah. Pretty remarkable shot by Carl.

·
Administrator
4,331 Posts
I have two Ruger 77MKII's, one in 243 and the other in 6mm. Both will shoot 5 shot groups of 1/2" with my favorite handloads for them. I had a 10/22 deluxe model in the 70's but didn't really like it that well, I have always been a bolt action person. Jack O'Connor was having a custom 280 built on a Ruger 77 action when he passed away in '78.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
And I would bet that both those rifles @George Foster has are Old Rifles.
For a time about 20 yr ago, Ruger really made a lot of bad Barrels...I wish and hope they have improved. The entry level Ruger American I zeroed was horrible with 4 kinds of Ammo.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
The manbun gun JB left here the other day sure does shoot good.
Tucker would never be caught hunting with it...lol
But the old man might just try it out this year on a deer...lol

·
Administrator
4,331 Posts
My 6mm MKII was bought in 2004 and I bought the 243 MKII in 2006. The period you are referring to JR is when Ruger was using Wilson barrels, about 2000 they started producing their own button rifled barrels. According to most they are getting very good accuracy these days with them.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I love my 77-22. Enough so that I bought one for the Wife and both boys. Mine will put 5 shots in a half inch or so at 50 yards with cheap ammo. I put Leupold 1.5-5 scopes on all of them.

The 77 in 308 that I had back in the 80's would shoot patterns. I bedded it, free floated it, recrowned it, nothing helped. It got traded off for a 700 which I still have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts