Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted one good set on this open piece of ground, but either the wind, or ditch with 2 ft. of water and a muddy bottom limited the access and options. So I selected the base of one tree, along a fence that seemed to offer a good view, and though the wind was quartering away from my left to my right, out across the ground, it was the best option.

VERY fortunately, I was just getting my calls out of the backpack, and getting comfortable, when I saw a light colored coyote slink into the open field cautiously, and he quickly mingled with a few black steers about 1000 yds. away. I was SO glad I had not called 15 seconds earlier!!

With a good view of him thru the 8X Nikon binocular, I tried a short series on my mouser. He looked, but didnt bite........ok, let some time go by.

He looks big enough to possibly be a male, and if Im right, he may just be interested in another coyote. I gave a short tapering howl on the crit-r-call pee wee, and this gets his attention!! Oh, yes, here we go.....this turned him my way..........here he comes........get ready, he's about 600 yds, and coming at 3/4 speed...that tan speck just to the left of center is him.

Boy this guy is rolling in faster than Im used to seeing here in California...must be serious about whipping that small coyotes butt, just before this storm rolls in, and on the eve of the pairing season.
BOWWOW----BARK WOOF.... that got him, hes slowing down.

BANG !!

Nailed him. Whew, that was fun. 71 yards. (Another 30 or 40 yards to my right he was going to hit my scent line).

He wasnt a big old dominate male, but my guess was 3 yrs. old, and possibly on his way to becoming a toughie. Sure had a determined look in the eye when he rolled in.

~john

·
Registered
108 Posts
Outstanding pictoral and story, John!!:) Keep 'em comin'
Bob

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No exit.....but a 1" entry

But 71 yards is not exactly in the Roberts "wheelhouse". The combo of 257 Roberts and 70 Starke bullet is best between 150 and 400 yards. He weighed 27.2 lbs. Inside was jello. Absolutely DRT.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hope your Christmas was a jolly one...looks like Santa bought you another coyote!

Way to go John, another fun story.

Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
another excellent story and success. thx for the 1st hand hunt experience john. always rewarding to us viewing a monitor from behind a desk.

happy new year to you from Cajun Land

CB <*)))>{

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
green with envy.

nice story , and pics . had a tough time lately myself in a bit of a rutt I guess you could say. Good job nice yote!!!!

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I'm sure you've told us before, John, but how do you get those photos right before you pull the trigger? There's one pic here with the coyote pretty close and your gun barrel in the edge of the photo. Surely you don't hand-hold the camera that close, then put it down to take the shot.

Great story and photos, as usual. Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice job and story John!

So did you really have time to take that picture by hand and then get a shot off? that is a pretty cool hunt.

So what would have been the affect on him if the he was not interested in the howler? Would he most likely ignore the call or split tail out of there? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing.
DB

·
Registered
37 Posts
John, I think that qualifies as a "Charge"

Good thing you had your DGR (Dangerous Game Roberts) with you!!
Great Story - Thank You!
George

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, and compliments....

To Kentucky Fisherman and Dr. Bubba...
Usually the howler forces their hand. If they hear it as a weaker male, they often times will come to confront him. No guarantees of course, but its a pretty good gamble, when a distress call wont bring them closer, and you are getting into mating season, when the boys are thinking "territorial". If you are wrong, and this coyote was a female, she likely would not come charging in. She may leave, or, at best, slowly drift around looking for more clues like a visual confirmation that another coyote was indeed there. But usually the howler will bring them in fast, or send them packing in a hurry. Therefore, I dont howl very often. I either have to see them first, or be in the thick of mating season, and or hear one at dusk challenge barking the area.

Re; the picture taking...the first pic was easy, as I held the camera snug against the left side of the rifles stock (the rifle was resting snug on my pack, in the fence) But the second picture was more of a challenge. I backed the zoom down from 6 to about 2X, used the big 2" viewer, kept the camera against the rifle, slowly turning it to my right, with the coyote, and honestly, when I snapped that pic, I wasnt even sure I had gotten him in the picture, then I just let go of the camera, it fell a few inches into the leaves, and shot him. Then, of course the last pic was easy :)

Glad you guys liked it & thanks again for coming along.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Excellent post and pics, John. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts