Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the opening day for my 65th ruffed grouse and woodcock season. I haven't missed many opening days over the years, and it doesn't seem possible how many years have passed by. There has been nothing more enjoyable to me from the 1st of October to the day before gun season for deer opens on the 3rd Saturday of November. When I was working, I would take three weeks (I had five weeks) of vacation in this time frame. As I was a supervisor, I could only take one week at a time so I would take a week, work a week, etc. I started hunting with Brittany's in 1976 and really enjoyed owning them over the years, they in my opinion are the best upland bird dog there is. At my age Rusty will probably be my last one but I plan on enjoying all the years together that we can.

Plant Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass

Rusty at five months old in his first hunting season.

Dog Computer keyboard Carnivore Computer monitor Dog breed

Rusty is waiting for me to get ready to go this morning.

Dog Window Carnivore Companion dog Flooring

We ready yet Dad?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Go get 'em, George. Woodcock were my bird of choice when I busted my way through the thickets around here. I seem to remember more woodcock than grouse in my area. Mostly without a dog as I was growing up. Didn't get a lot of birds but had a ton of fun. Seeing Rusty ready to go brings back lots of fond memories of my Abby from 30 years ago. Seems like yesterday.
Good luck and best wishes for an enjoyable season and be sure to post some hero shots if you're bringing a camera along.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good Sunday morning from NC Ohio 50's may get to 70 with warm air from storm. I was only blessed with Grouse hunting once when my boss took me to his parent's farm near Logan, Ohio. Going to a friend's house to watch the Buckeye's today, I don't get the big ten channel. Give Praise be safe Prayers to all of us and country. Mike

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Glad you were able to go again…I bet Rusty enjoyed it nearly as much as you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts