Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a T/C Contender for general plinking, varminting, and target shooting. The option of having different barrels for different calibers sounds appealing, but I've never been impressed with their looks and I'm not sure what their triggers are like and how well they typically shoot. Can a person leave a scope mounted on each barrel and have it shoot accurately after changing barrels? What are your opinions of these guns? Any pictures you can post of yours that might change my mind about how ugly they are? Any recommendations concerning the future purchase of one? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Had 'em since '78 and NEVER Regreted owning it!

I have my Meat gett'r .256 Win MAg, You must reload for this cal, a 30-30, and a .223 all in 10" Bull. Accuracy is better than I can hold and on a good day keep it min of cat @ 100 w/ each cal. I've done moa before. (the 30-30 smarts)... I also have a .223 in 23' carbine, and it's a nice L/W rifle to carry about in a day pack.:rolleyes: Triggers adjust easily and TC honors it's lifetime warranty even if you did not buy it new.
I can recommend Ed's TC's for barrels, and stay away from e-bay and pay pay :eek: for shopping for these as they tend to be WAY overpriced. Midway offers fair prices on barrels also.:)
Best of Luck, I recommend a .223 as a first barrel, cheap, and accurate! Fuzz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been shooting them for year

Been shooting various forms of the Contender for years. Currently have 3 Contender frames with various tubes hanging off of them. The 7-30 Waters and 30 Herrett has placed a lot of venision in the freezer for me.

Love the Encore also! Just picked up a Heavy Barrel 25-06 and it is pure pleasure to shoot. That will be my meat gun next fall.

As to the triggers, Mike Bellm who is an excellent Contender Guru has all the goodies you need to make the Contender trigger one of the finest there is.

If you decide to get one, hold on to your wallet!!!! They seem to breed while sitting in the safe.... :D

As Fuzz stated, a .223 is a good starting point for what you described. Have fun...

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have 2 receivers and 4 barrrels. They are the older Contender models and are all scoped. 17 Remington, 223, 30-30, and 35 Remington. All are great shooters and a lot of fun. An accurate gun is a fun gun. These are fun by all means. The 17 Remington barrel is from the T/C Custom shop. Get one and you'll never regret it.:D :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have 2 eazy open & 1 g2 frame. They are fun guns, light & short but not the easiest to hold off hand. The g2 stock is some what better suited to scopes. All my experience is with the carbine model. Mine basically shoot at the same poi after a barrel change. I'd start with a 22 or a 223, 23" barrel but the most useful cal. is the 7-30 if you handload. I have sat in a deer stand with a 7-30 & 375 win but nothing has come by. The 7-30 has killed a few cats with 100gr hpts.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Fun Guns

I have a 223AI barrel on an easy open contender that is an all around varminter, coyotes, prairie dogs rabbits and general vermine. This is a working rifle and not near as pretty as some that I've seen on this board, but I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I shot pistol silhouette for years with TC Contenders in 7mmTCU and 30-30, still do occasionally, probably got 20,000 rounds or so thru them over the years. Still going strong. I dont think they are ugly a bit, a handgun that shoots like a rifle is a thing of beauty!!;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 2 contender frames, one blue and one stainless, and a .223 carbine, .223 pistol, 357 herrett and a .45/410 barrel. They are all pretty accurate and fun to shoot, but the 2 .223 barrels are exceptionally accurate. They are all fun to shoot. Mine are keepers.
Barry

·
Registered
571 Posts
Three frames and five barrels : )

I've got an early frame wearing a 12" T/C .375 Win, and a Custom Shop Flatside frame wearing a 20" Virgin Valley 6 x 45.

Lying in wait, ready for action, are a 24" Virgin Valley 17 Hebee and a 18 " Bullberry .22 LR Match (my all time favorite squirrel rifle).

Arriving any day now I'll have a Custom Shop Case Colored frame wearing a 23" T/C Custom Shop 30-30 AI. This one is slated to replace my 7 Mag as my primary deer rifle. If I really like the package enough, I'm thinking about having SSK make an octagon barrel and replace the furniture with some custom semi-fancy English Walnut.

Obviously, I prefer them in carbine form.

The triggers on the older frames can be tuned down to under 2 Lbs by an experienced Smith. I think 2 1/2 Lbs is about the bottom limit with the G2 frames.

A snug fitting hinge pin is essential for best accuracy with any barrel. I've never had any problems holding POI when switching barrels, as long as the the hinge pin is snug and the furniture is the same as the barrel was sighted in with. A hanger bar mounted forend also helps accuracy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought one 10 years ago thinking I would like it. Ended up selling it last month with about 200-300 rounds total through it. Seems like situations that called for a rifle, I picked up a rifle. For pistol, I chose my revolvers. I just couldn't find a niche for the contender.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just adding to the fire.....

I enjoy shooting a Contender...... different set of requirements over pistol or rifle. Had 4 frames and 7 barrels when I was shooting NRA Pistol Silhouettes. Pictured below is what I have left. My first frame, a 1st Generation frame with original hammer, and a 10 inch 41Mag barrel.

My bud down in Breckenridge, TX., took a couple hogs and a yote with it early last year before our May BBQ & Shoot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Contenders

I've shot TC's in IHMSA and at PD's for many years,over 100,000 rounds.
Have 2 blue frames since 1980 and 2 ss from the mid 90's. It's easy to get
1.5 lb triggers on these.It seems like every barrel has shot well.
A 15" 6.5 Bullberry Imp. barrel with 7x Burris shoots .6 inch 100 yd groups.
2 15" .22 rimfire barrels from Bulberry will shoot under an inch.
My PD barrel is a 14" .222 from TC that I made into a .222 rimmed,it has accounted for thousands of PD's and many groundhogs.It has a long Bullberry forend with short Harris bipod and Burris 7x. Two .30 Herrett barrels from the
TC Custom Shop shot very well,especially with 168 to 200 gr bullets.
Also have .22 Hornet,.270 REN,7 Supermag. Others I've had but let get away,
7TCU,7 Int Rimmed,.219 wasp Bullberry,and .22 rimfires.
As for how they look,I guess everyones tastes are different. If you get the right combination af forend,grip,bipod and scope,a TC can look pretty sharp sitting on the shooting bench waiting to shoot groups or varmints.
Dave in IN

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got an early SS carbine in 223 and it's a nice light, accurate rifle. I've also got a couple of chamber inserts in 22 Mag and 22 LR to add to its versatility. I might get rid of it to head in a different direction as far as rifles go, but it's still a great little pack rifle. MI VHNTR

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
TC: My "goto" gun here on the "ranch"! (pic)

The T/C and the later Encore version have become hugely popular, for good reason! They are very accurate (when properly handloaded - has different "tricks" from a bold gun tho!), and very, very versitile!

I have the older T/C frame. I have a Scope permanently mounted on the 44 mag 10" barrel, and POI stays put. But, if you buy the pistol verson (as a pistol) you can then legally convert it back and forth between a pistol and a rifle configuration.

This is my T/C in 17 Mach IV. It shadows all my other varminters combined for the number and variety of varmits this little bugger has kilt!:D I think if I had to sell all of my rifles and keep just one...This one might just be the one I would keep.

P.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.