Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a hard time making a final decision on what type of optics to put on my new 6.8 AR-15

I've looked at electronic red dots. But you really give up so much on accuracy with having little or no magnification. And I want to be able to use this rifle on Coyotes. But then I would still like to be able to use it for self-defense in a pinch.

I've been looking at all kinds of scopes. But to hit well at longer range, I think I need some real magnification power. But I want the scope to be able to go low enough to be handy at closer ranges, since Coyotes often appear at short range.

So I've looked at a bunch of scopes, and I was really impressed by a Weaver Grand Slam 40mm 3-10x. The clarity of this scope was impressive. And the controls are so easy and fast to operate. Eye relief was also great, almost as good as a Leupold.

Anyone here have experience with the Weaver Grand Slam? Do you think it will meet my needs? Or should I be considering something else? It is not that big or heavy, and I do want to keep my 6.8 AR-15 light and easy to handle.

I'm also planning to mount a laser on the AR-15, for close range defensive shooting. I guess I will have to take it off when hunting, though, to be legal.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've been looking at the GS scopes myself for either my 7-08 or 7 mag. Natchez has the 6.5-20 on sale for $299.00 in silver finish only with a dot reticle. While I don't think I would like the dot, the scope still intrigues me. Every review I have seen on the GS scopes is nothing but great. Might want to stop by Midway USA and read the feedback on them. For me, it's either gonna be a GS or a Burris FFII in 4.5-14. I have one of those and it is a great scope, much better than my Nikon Buckmaster of the same power.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Weaver Grand Slam

Lance

I have a Weaver 4.5 X 14 on a Mohawk 600 22-250 carry rifle. Very nice scope. I think it is a real value for the money. In that price range my other consideration would be the Busnell 4200.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
On my 6.8 SPC I have a mil-dot 3-10X. I think it's about ideal. It's not a Weaver, but with that magnification you have enough power to reach out there a ways, yet not over powering at close range. I have a med-heavy barrel on mine. With 16" barrel, scope, bi-pod and 10 round mag mine is just a couple OZ over 9 pounds.

Steven

·
Registered
804 Posts
I now have four Grand slams, but cannot offer any opinion on how it would work on your AR. I just replaced a Swift premium 3-9 with a 3-10 GS, and there is no comparison for that change. Added a 4-14 in on the order for a rifle I hope to take on a p'dog outing later this spring with the duplex reticle. Haven't mounted it yet, but looking around the yard with it I'm quite satisfied. Have another 3-10 on my 7-08, and a 6-20 with the dot on a 243. That dot would be quite hard to see under low light hunting conditions, but to my eyes, the GS is as fine a scope as I need. I see no sense in spending more when these seem to be of such high quality. It is as good or better than my 4200 Bushnell 6-24's.

But to someone else's eye, they may be like looking through a drinking glass. Having never looked through the real expensive glass, like a nightforce or Swarovski or what have you, I'll not compare them that way. I've never cared for either the view or the price of a Leupold, so I'll not stir up that comparison either. I was very happy when Mrs. Clause OK'd the purchase for these 2 latest scopes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lance, I have a couple grand slams and I think they are an absolute best buy. Everyone that actually owns these seem to really like them as do I.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts