Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a bunch of different things today. I went to the gun club and shot my Win 320 rimfire with it's favorite ammo CCI SSHP's. This afternoon I have been reminiscing quite a bit about when I was a youth starting to hunt birds. Below is a picture of my Uncle Jack and the "Original Rusty" from I believe 1956. I remember us going down on the lower meadow and killing pheasants with the "Original Rusty". Also there is a photo of Uncle Jack's Ithaca Flues 20ga SxS Double that I used when I was first starting to hunt grouse and woodcock.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I really like that old shotgun George.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wonderful! The main reason I bought my Auto 5 was because of the one my Dad bought in 69 at the local Sears. I was all of 3 feet tall following him thru the store after he bought it. I was proud as could be that when I finally was able to shoot it, I didnt get knocked on my butt. (I wouldn't allow that to happen!) Then as I was about to graduate from High school, it and the Citori were stolen from our house. It took me decades to find a nice one when I could afford one. I had to get one with screw in chokes.
Memories of time hunting with it with Dad are highly treasured....

Steven

·
Premium Member
5,200 Posts
I remember my first gun was a J.C. Higgins single shot 12ga. I was maybe 12 give or take a year or two and probably about 90lbs if that! I remember that thing just kicking the living shit out of me everytime I shot it...lol. My uncle and I took a lot of squirrel with it.

·
Administrator
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shane, I still remember my father sitting me down on the ground when I was five and letting me shoot his 12ga pump. Apparently he was holding onto it so it wouldn't fall on the ground when I rolled over backwards!

Uncle Jack's Ithaca sits in the cabinet with the rest of my shotguns, I shot it exactly twice after I inherited it. I still have a box of paper shells he had for it, I use to use it quite a bit as a kid for hunting grouse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I love these things that make you nostalgic, even if you haven't seen them before. The photos look very authentic. Are you still using that gun? I have only recently become interested in hunting. Friends took me with them and I really liked it, they lent me one of their guns. I inherited a rifle from my father, but it is old and I do not know how well the old rifles behave. Maybe they are dangerous, maybe they need repair. Unfortunately, I don't know what it's called, I'll try to take a picture by the next weekend. But still, I would like something new, I saw a cool browning citori 725 on one site and I really liked the description. But I'm not sure if I should spend the money and if it's a good weapon at all. Which one of you can give me advice?

·
Administrator
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not shot my Uncle Jacks since I inherited it in 1984. I haven't shot my Dads Savage mod 28 12ga pump or his Rem mod 14 in 32 Rem which I killed my first deer with in 1961 since 1968.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts