Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turn the Clock back to

THE YEAR 1907

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!

The year is 1907. One hundred years ago!

What a difference a century makes!

Here are some of the U.S. statistics for the Year 1907:

The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California.
(Wish they still were.)

With a mere 1.4 million people, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents per hour.

The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
a dentist $2,500 per year,
a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year,
and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S took place at home.

Ninety percent of all U.S. doctors had no college education.
Instead, they attended so-called medical schools,
many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month,
and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:

1. Pneumonia and Influenza

2. Tuberculosis

3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease

5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii,
and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.
(Not sure we have improved on this one.)

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores!
Back then pharmacist said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." (Shocking!)

Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.

And I forwarded this from someone else without typing it myself,
and sent it to you in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.
It staggers the mind.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That one gets me, because doctors did the smart thing and made their medical schools hard to get into, limiting supply and driving prices for service high. Mechanical Engineers did no such thing, and an inevitable surplus on the market depressed their earnings.

In the same vein, I once received a letter from my mother in law (from El Salvador) with the title 'Engr' before my name. I had never seen that before, and when I inquired about it what I learned shocked me. Apparently, in El Salvador, engineers are held in higher regard than doctors, and the title is used to show respect. I dang near moved to El Salvador on that one, but two trips down there convinced me it could be bad for my health. At the time a lot of people were getting killed, and bombs went off all night.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Once asked my great-grandma and grandma what they

thought was greatest thing they had seen in their lifetime.

I did this in the early 1990s...
My great-grandma who was born in 1893 did not really say anything specific that I remember but her daugther, my grandma born in 1917, put it in perspective with her response. I still laugh when I think of it.

I asked in your lifetime what thing has most amazed you. I tried to guess to myself what she would say like the computer, spaceshuttle, spacetravel, TV, airplanes, cars, and so forth. She did not hesitate much and said, "Well baby it would have to be preserves in a squeeze bottle." :) She was amazed when jam came out in those plastic squeeze bottles.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My grandmother, born in 1887, was facinated by the use of electricity. She was always concerned that when a bulb burned out yoy left the lamp in the base until you got a replacement. She was worried that the electricity would roun out all over the house.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My grandmother, born in 1887, was facinated by the use of electricity. She was always concerned that when a bulb burned out yoy left the lamp in the base until you got a replacement. She was worried that the electricity would roun out all over the house.
You mean it doesn't?????:eek:
My grandmother, born in 1904 and died in 1998, always told me it might...I sure miss talking to her. I took my grandkids to a spot in the pasture north of my house (about a mile) where the ground has a noticable dip about 15'x20' and showed them where she was born. That is where the "dugout" house was, where she was born and raised. There were 12 kids raised in that house. The water was 1/4 mile north (spring in the bottom of a canyon), till they hand-dug the well a few years later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My great-grandfather felt that the most useful new product in his life-time was screen wire for windows. He had no need for planes or autos or even a phone, but to be able to leave the windows open all night and keep the mosquitos out---now that was something everyone needed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank is funny cause

My great-grandfather felt that the most useful new product in his life-time was screen wire for windows. He had no need for planes or autos or even a phone, but to be able to leave the windows open all night and keep the mosquitos out---now that was something everyone needed.
I never appreciated screens as much until I lived in NZ for two years and most folks I knew did not have screens and did not think they needed them.
I fought off more wasps, bees, and spiders (skeeters were less worrisome there) to last me a lifetime. Did I mention wetas? They are harmless but sure are scary looking. Found several in our flat after leaving windows open. Until then I took screens for granted and then thought everyone had them.

Then I noticed while in England that they were not real common there either. Luckily I was on vacation and not living there. Friends said wasps and spiders were driving them nuts.

DB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.