Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kawasaki Prairie 300 ATV. What is a good size of blade for pushing snow 48" or 60"? Any brands you would recommend or stay away from? I don't have a winch, so I will probably use manual lift for now. I have a snowblower, but using the ATV just seems like more fun, especially for light snow. Darrel

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a moose plow on my Honda foreman, a 48". works real well for me, my driveway is about 300 yards long so it takes a few passes. Have had it for a few years, so it has plowed some fairly deep snows. Had the same setup on the old fourtrax, 48" with a winch for lifting. Also worked ok, but needed tire chains for heavy snow. The foreman being a 4x4 works so much better.For a really light snow, I need to get a rubber guard for on top of the blade, as if you get any speed, you get turned into a snowman.
Barry

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have not had a lot of experience due to our paucity of snow. The best one that we had was about 8"-10". With my 600 Grizzly with aftermarket tires and a 4' blade and with the blade angled, the snow was tending to want to push my ATV sideways a little so I think that with your lighter ATV and a 5' blade you might have problems with a heavier snow.

As to which blade, it probably does not really matter. There is nothing particularly complicated about a blade. I do have a Warn 2500# winch which I use to raise and lower the blade but if you do you will probably want to put some "weak link" in between the blade and the winch hook so that you do not bust things up with the power of the winch.

At my farm I use my 4wd John Deere with an 8' blade and you get a lot of snow falling back into the blade path so it does take a little while, although fun, to clear a path of much width.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is my second Grizzly

I have a 2001 600 Grizzly with a 60" Moose and liked it so much that I got this.....

:

2007 700 Grizzly Power steering is awsome the fuel injection works great and talk about power.
It has the 2500 winch on it for lifting the blade. Then I put this on it.

A 60" blade made by Moose It will clear snow(if we ever get any) I got my second Moose blade because the first one worked so well. Pull two pins and unhook the winch and go play. I lose very little clearance when the blade is off.
I really like mine. They had 48" blades but had to order the 60" Guy said he though it would push it.
With your 300 I think you better stick to the 48" blade it should push it with no trouble. The county blade weighs about 80lbs more than my straight blade.Its said to hard on front ends.

If you want to power lift the blade warn makes a kit that the winch is on the blade then hooks to you bumper it has a thumb switch like a winch but stays with the blade. you will need to compare cost between the manual lift and this set-up.
Good luck
EricT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts