Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

I can think of several more, can't you? Add them to the list.

1. Blog/Blogger: Who was the genius that came up wth this one?
2. Cool: Worn out in the 60's, still lame today.
3. Insurgent: What ever happened to "Terrorist?"
4. Multi-Tasking: Parents do this every day, so what's new about that?

There's a lot more I could think of, but now it's your turn.

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
How about:

"remmie" for Remington
"annie" for Anschutz
"winnie" for Winchester
"silly wets" for silhouettes
"clip" for magazine

I'm sure there's more :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Oh cripes, Roger, don't get me started!

ANYTHING in "textspeak"

ANYTHING in "Politically Correct"

Empowered. If you have to depend on somebody/something else to magnanimously give you power, you don't have any and never will.

First Annual. A total oxymoron, nothing can be both.

(Too late. I got started... Rocky sits on both typing fingers and clicks mouse with his nose...)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Now wait just a minute there sonny

Us folks that fall into the catagory of ALMOST OLD need some of those words and are too steenkeng old to find new ones. Fer instance,

"Cool",
Well, I`m a cool guy (just ask me) unless I`m in the sun or pissed, then I`m HOT. Until I see the yoter, my barrel is cool, then I shoot and it gets hot and then I hear the coyote laughing from a mile away which is not cool.

"Awesome"
OK, I guess this is a crappy word mostly but it describes ALL of the varmintdeer, elk, yoters, fishvarmints, that I shoot. I`ll promise not to use it except when I am describing my abilities in the field.

"Sharp"
Ok, I hate that word, it was dead in 1965 and people still use it for sumpthinorother. If my knife is sharp, I`m a Happy Camper..uh oh...

"Happy Camper"
I`ll pretend to hate this word if I have to, but it reminds me of camping, which almost always makes me happy, so I`m going to keep using it even if I have to do it "in the closet".

"Shrooms"
Supposed to be a word for picking chantrelles, Morals, Chicken-of-the-woods. HEY! This is logging country. Loggers are conservative ********. We DO NOT want to hear you brag about going "Shrooming" you "dope-smoking addlebrained cow-pie inspecting tresspassing little liberal dirtbag". Get a job setting chokers and if you actually "work" at it, we MIGHT take you out dog hunting and collect something to fry up with yer mountian lion steak.

"Burly" .... Ok, burly is good, carry on

"Harvest"
DON`T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! Unless yer picking tomatoes from yer wifes garden, or going Shrooming, stop it! We HUNT, we KILL, anhilate, vaporize, splash, drop, dissasemble, ect. We don`t harvest our critters. Get down and gimme 50 you maggot!

"Dude"
Man I hate that word!
But dude, I`m like, too old to, like, change now dude, like, I been using it too long. Sorry dude.

"Ho"....
Grounds for me pulling a gun unless yer weeding them tomatoes I mentioned...
Criky, I`ll be back to reconoiter later mate....:D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ya'll are better than the original article. Which was very cool and utterly awesome.

Cracks me up, if I can say that.

Rick

·
Registered
274 Posts
Insurgent vs Terrorist? You mean you dont really know the difference?
Remember the formation of this country? Remember who was in charge? The British. Remember who resisted their government? Colonialists. They were insurgents, rising up against British rule. Thats what the word means - it is to rise up against. The colonialists were hardly terrorists.

Fox news - changing the English language one word at a time.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Woo Hoo ! ! ! Get to bust the Bear Dude's Awesome Chops....Like, Man, get real.....I've never had my morals sauteed in butter - couldn't find a cool gal to do it with me.....but I digress.......but have had some Morrels treated thusly.

Was that T O T A L L Y awesome or what? This has to have our resident wordsmith and published book author spinning by now - Right Rocky??

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fox news

Frequent flyer... I'm really glad you opened my eyes up about fox news....I'll now watch CBS news.........med velig hilsen....Eric

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wasn't that a Carlin bit.?

A Near Miss - as in a near HIT when two jets almost HIT, not almost MISS. A near miss is a CRASH.
.. I remember George Carlin doing that one a long time ago.. But I don't know if he came up with it.. He was giving the airlines a hard time about their little euphemisms.. And then he went off on a GB (original) rant so I ignored him.. d:^) Jake

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Two of my favorites

"Past history" That's so we don't mistake it for future history, I guess. :eek:

"New-cue-ler" :mad: Good grief and gravy! The word is spelled NUCLEAR! I've heard everybody from newscasters to teachers to the Pres. mispronounce it. All together now......... New-clee-are. Try it again.... New-clee-are. See, that's not so hard! :D

Forward this to everybody in your address book and everytime they say "past history" or "new-cue-ler" some poor sick child somewhere will send Bill Gates a nickel!

Sorry, got a little wound up there. I sometimes forget that where I live the word WASH is pronounced.................. "warsh". And we sometimes say things like "good grief and gravy". ;)

·
Registered
794 Posts
One that has always bothered me........

Is when someone is talking about someone and says they are, "next to none." does that mean that they are very near the bottom of the pile? None is at the bottom and he's right next to it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
How about all the supposedly educated people who say "calvary" for "cavalry", "cav-al-ry", that would be soldiers on horseback, of course mechanized these days. :( Young newsbabe on the local TV station here a couple weeks ago actually referred to the "Marine Corpse" Ouch!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
TAJ45, I made note of poor word use on this board -- once. Got hammered for it. I'm sick at heart that people don't know and apparently don't care about the difference between your and you're; or site and sight; or to, too and two; or its and it's. But I'll be darned if I'll point it out again.

In the meantime, may the language-deficient be paid a big celery and enjoy their macrame and cheese.

·
Registered
169 Posts
TAJ45, I made note of poor word use on this board -- once. Got hammered for it. I'm sick at heart that people don't know and apparently don't care about the difference between your and you're; or site and sight; or to, too and two; or its and it's. But I'll be darned if I'll point it out again.

In the meantime, may the language-deficient be paid a big celery and enjoy their macrame and cheese.
...while asking for advise on how to remove their muzzle break without using a vice. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Rocky, Knockem, Doug et al:

I really do enjoy this type of exchange tremendously as a well turned phrase, non sequiteur (SP?) and puns to the point of groaners are all fun for me.

Another one I enjoy here and on other boards from time to time is, are you ready?? R E C T I C L E S Kind of gives me pause for thought when someone asks what type recticles are preferred.

As far as advising by rendering advice concerning my personal vices, I try and keep them firmly clamped in one of my vises. That way I can sketch a good beed, or is it draw a bede, on them. Oops have hit that slippery slope and am stretching things a mite or is it might? :D

Yes Doug, being from Jeffersonville for 35 years, heard a lot of "warsh and url" as a kid growing up - kind of hard to grow down.........which leads me to a universal phrase I've heard used by educated and others: "Lower it down".
How about irregardless? :rolleyes: Eye sight?

Now, nonchalant......is there a "chalant"? How about nonplussed.......Plussed being the opposite?

Don't think I would get away with this on too many other boards, that's why I luv this one and think it is simply marvy. "Oh Wow" too, boy was I glad when that one finally breathed its last.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
And wouldn't it be a mercy if we could get rid of "you know" and "know what I mean" .

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Look what you started Roger!

How about a person trying to indicate they really don't care by saying "I could care less"? HMMMMMM

Just to keep things on topic.............. how many ways have you seen "varmint" spelled?

Some of this stuff is simply misunderstandings, too. Used to golf with a guy who would refer to a putt as being "straight as a dime"! Usually not my putt, though.

Mrs. Malaprop, where are you?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Here's one, a real fingernails-on-the-blackboard butchering of English: "He went missing Friday morning" for "He HAS BEEN missing SINCE Friday morning" , you even hear the TV news anchors using it. EEEEEEK!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts