Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, the kids got some software for christmas and my CD Drive is giving me fits!
My CD ROM is working intermitantly on my HP Pavilion PC w/ windows ME. I've cleaned it using the disk with the brushes and have used the canned air. It seems to work again for a day or 2 then stops.
If I decide to replace it, which CD ROM can I use with it? Is it worth going to a burner type? If I buy an aftermarket CD ROM is there any software I need to use to get the puter to recognize it?
Please give me any reccommendations as far as models and speeds etc. Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I am no expert and have changed a few dead CD's. The will usually just plug in and go with the plug and play feature of Windows. I recommend going to a burner. I use it for storage. You can ad music and video burning capability depending on your choice.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Replace it and install yourself

They are cheap easy to install, if you can change 2 sparkplug wires you can install the burner. And with ME you may need the included install disk.

LEN

·
Registered
204 Posts
Correct on the DVD burner

Don is right. You will be better off with a DVD burner. I have used about 6 of these and they work very well:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ku=S167-4219&SRCCODE=WEBGOOCDVD&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

The BIOS finds the CD and DVD's. The operating system then supplies the drivers. If you are using Windows XP it should work fine. The DVD burner comes with Nero burning software. I would sugget only installing the Nero Express at first. Otherwise it the install puts a lot of junk on your system that you will probably never need.

When you install the new DVD or CD make sure you set the jumper in the back to Master if it is the only DVD/CD in the computer.

·
Registered
804 Posts
First make sure that whatever drive you get is compatible with your operating system. Depending on your op system, the DVD burner is nice for archiving, but you can do the same with CD's, you'll just use more of them. Definitely upgrade to a burner of some sort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts