Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MM , I've seen you post Pics of your Militaries in the past . The latest Issue of Rifle ( Jan-Feb.2007 ) has an interesting Article called " Short Course in History ... Sniper Rifles ". It's interesting to see side-by-side views of the US , British , German , and Russian Sniper Rifles with their Scopes . Also gives some comments on how well the various Scopes Zero . Most surprising to me was how the authors own WWII Rifles ..... Group . Sure he owns only one of each , but his Russian 91/30 with a "well-worn bore " and the worst Trigger he has seen on any Rifle is the most accurate !

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It is a very interesting subject, historically and technically. Sniping as we now understand it (as opposed to earlier 'sharpshooting') was developed by the British in WW1 as a result of the trench stalemate of 1916. I have a book somewhere in my collection written just after the Great War by the Major who was put in charge of the program and who developed the training, equipment and techniques. It is a very interesting book and even has quite a few pictures. Just as interesting is a book written by Germany's WW2 second most successful sniper Sepp Allerberger fighting on the Eastern Front. What I found amusing is that in the 30s the Germans trained the Russian snipers and then Hitler disregarded the sniper as a useless weapon in the Blitzkreig strategy. The first German snipers of WW2 were using WW1 scrounged weapons or those captured from the Russians. I'll keep a look out for the article you mention.
________
easy vape review

1 - 2 of 2 Posts