Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. I know it's some sortof sacrilidge but starting hardwood fires on the back porch is a bit time-consuming for everyday cooking out..

.. I have retired my old grill to the hunt club and I want to get a new one.. I like using the lava rocks over the burners and need to sear as well as slow cook.. I very rarely cook for more than one or two people..

.. After a quick trip to a few local stores seems gas grills are like everything else.. They'll let ya spend as much as ya want..

.. What have you guys got that's working good for you and of decent quality.? Thanks.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Weber makes good ones. After a few years you'll need to replace the grills and the burners. When the time comes, go to cast iron grills and red bronze burners, and you'll be set for another 20yrs. Except for the hoses and regulator of course. Sooner or later those need replacing too. LOL

Really their like anything else, keep them cleaned up and do just a little simple maintenance on them and even the most basic one will last a good long time.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Watch number & placement of burners

I don't have a hard and fast recommendation for you, Jake, but the one thing I've found with gas grills is that the number and placement of burners is important. A basic guideline that I've found holds true is that when possible you want more burners and as big a burner "footprint" as possible. Personally, I like at least two burners, split left and right rather than fore and aft. That way, if you do cook for a larger group, you can do your fast cooking on one side of the grill and set the other side real low and shuffle your meat over there to stay warm. Two burners also lets you simulate a smoker, putting some hickory or mesquite over the hot burner and your meat over on the cool side. It's not true smoking, of course, but can come fairly close for a grill. If your two burners run the full width of the grill, what I call fore and aft style, it's impossible to do what I'm describing.

I was strictly a charcoal man for years, but had a gas grill with lava rocks a few years ago that would turn out a steak you'd swear was charred over real coals.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Holland Grill...

I have had one of these since the first year they came out. We live in a saltwater atmosphere so some of it rusted out. Thought I'd have to get a new one, but was able to get new parts and rebuild it without spending too much $$. They now make a stainless model, in fact they have greatly expanded their line.

For all around use I don't think you can beat these. I really like the baffle system - It eliminates flare ups of burning grease and can even be filled with water to steam oysters. You can cook anything from a 12# turkey to a few burgers. These grills are made in NC, so maybe you have already seen them - just thought I'd let you know how pleased we are with ours.

Happy New Year!!

Jim

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points, KF.!!

.. Ya know, I hadn't even thought of the SxS burner advantage.. I will definitely keep that in mind.. My old grill was your "fore & aft" type..

JBailey.. Holland makes a great grill.. He stayed at the CG one time this year.. I'll check'em out.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ducane and Weber

Owned two Ducane 2004 propane grills. They were OK for cooking and the ceramic brickets did a grat job on steaks, chicken and roast. However, the sear grid, burners and other parts did not hold up well and are "very expensive". I would not buy another Ducane.

Now own two Weber Gas Grills. Smaller Propane was bought last spring is at the beach and the large natural gas unit is here at the house. The unit is three burner and does great jobs on steaks, chicken and rotissery roast and chicken. I have rebuilt the igniter once in three years. We use the grill two to three times a week and love it.

Really like how the lower unit is removed to clean. Home Depot and Lowes sell and have the parts. Weber is very well engineered and easy to maintain. I recommend the natral gas system if you have hook up convenient to the house service. Sure beats heck out of propane bottle fill or swap.

Old Doug

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My Weber is ten years old and still is great. Have replaced grills once and burners (this year) as well as drain pan holder and igniter. Great grill and easy to get parts for. Worth the money. I cook alot on my grill year around. A 20 lb propane lasts me about 2 months or just over. Thats a lot of grilling.
hotcap

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Brinkman Smoker Grill

Hey Jake:

I have been using gas grills for years. If I were going to buy a new one
today I would check the burner construction very closely. If possible
buy a grill with cast iron burners. You may have to go to your propane
gas supplier to even find a gas grill with cast iron burners. All the others
will give out on you in just a few years. About two years ago I went to
Lowe's and purchased a Brinkman Smoker Grill with the fire box out on
one end of the grill. It is of course charcoal. I have perhaps an advantage
becasue we have two plants nearby that makes charcoal. Kingsford and
Cowboy Charocal. I use the Cowboy Charcoal becasue it is made from
kiln dried Oak strips from some of our local hardwood flooring mills. I just
put a big piece of tenderloin on the cook about 15 minutes ago. In about
another hour I will have a piece of hog that will make you smack everyone
away from the table. :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, fellas.!!

.. I've been out checkin' with the local big box stores.. Seems there's not a lot of reasonable medium to go with that will let me use lava rocks or something similar.. They're either real cheap, too big or have the "fore & aft" burner setup.. I'll keep lookin'..
..Tomorrow I'm going to a more specialized store.. We'll see.. Thanks.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
27 Posts
do a google search on infrared

they are great for everything except real slow cooking. I am lusting for a Tiernan, but they are not cheap around $1500 for starters. There is a small one that we use here and take it camping with us.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Holland makes one of the best GAS grills made. You can make just about anything on them, from cookies, eggs, cake to mouth watering beef tenderloin. They are not the cheapest, but like anything else, you get what you pay for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts