Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl "Sandy Pooch" is one sick pup tonight. She seemed fine until she woke me up with her retching on the bedroom carpet. I let her outside, and discovered half a dozen other "spots" throughout the house.

I guess the worst is over, or at least she isn't vomiting anymore. She's curled up at my feet as I write this and occationally shivers. I don't know what I can do for her. I suppose she got into something nasty - it wouldn't be the first time (she'd rather forage for her own food than eat Dog Chow - ya wouldn't believe some of the crap she eats!!)

Her nose is cold and wet, breathing is normal and she's responsive - maybe a slight fever, but doesn't feel at all well, I can tell. I don't know what to do for her, so I'm sitting up with her since 1AM this morning.

Well, as I said, she seems to be past the worst of it - the vomiting (and other stuff :( ) The only thing I can think of that would make a critter so sick so quick would be some mouse and rat poison I have scattered around the place. But, I put it in places where the pooches couldn't get to it, even if they were so enclined - I doubt it is that.

...So, I wait and watch.

P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Morning Paul...I can feel "it " with you as....

....my old Pep as done the same thing .He always did recover from "the garbage gut syndrome" as his vet called it, hope thats all it amounts to.
I have a good excuse for being up this early with the nosleepums ,after a hard day of watching[supervising] the roofers yesterday and crashing after dinner an having an old mans bladder it is a MANDATORY action.
Have a goodin
Later
GH
________
KTM 250MX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,785 Posts
Same Thing You Would Take

If you had an upset stomach. I raised Beagles for years and gave them
the same things I took for ailments and it worked. Only smaller doses
accoding to body weight. How about a good stomach anti acid mint of
some type, or the "old pink pepto bismol" ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
On the anti acid etc, I think I would let it run it's course. Our doctor told us never to give that to our children for an upset stomach, that the body knows what it's doing ? That's more in the line of is your dog get bad food, the rat poisoning, or some strange bacteria.

Not trying to be contraire, just passing along some info

Clint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
What we have done in the past

Our vet suggested either plain yogurt or Ground beef and rice cooked together. Our dog really liked the yogurt more than the beef. This remedy was for a pup that wouldn't eat their normal food. Hope your pups well soon.

CF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
dog chow?

Not sure if that is a name you just threw out there or not..My hounds wont eat Purina Dog chow..they tip the bowls and leave it on the kennel floor. I have better luck with Pedigree or Exceed, or even hi protein Sprout at Fleet Farm when I am in a hurry.
Sounds to me like rat poison. It takes very little and causes puking bad. Most dogs throw up once or twice not repeatedly. Dogs can getinto places you'd never think possible,puppies even more so
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,067 Posts
Paul

I've had that all nighter sit and wait deal more than once myself Paul and it truly sucks!. It's when you really wish they could talk and tell you what was wrong. Since Sandy will eat whatever she finds laying around, I wonder if she found a dead mouse that had eaten the poison. It's one of the things that always worries me about putting that stuff out around our place.

She'll probably get over it and be right as rain by afternoon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Lean her out, Paul............

Often when their diet gets too rich, or they get into the table scraps, or garbage, when you arent looking, this happens. Maybe try keeping her diet lean, when she settles back down, and appears hungry again. For now, like you say, not much you can do. Hope it clears up, and she didnt nibble on any poison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...

She seems to have gotten past most of it. She's resting, but is responsive and not up-chucking since wee hours of the morning.

It concerned me b/c of its severity - worst ever(!) and suddenness - both ends, if you know what I mean...

I appreciate y'alls thoughts and suggestions - they allayed my anxiety at the very least!

Nobody can sleep like a dog...(Sandy Pooch)



P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
We lost a dog because he got into the back of the combine and picked up a bar of "OneBite" and ate it. Didn't catch on to what had happenend until it was too late. Look for blood in a stool when that happens. There is a medicine you can give them for that. Godsdog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
I am no expert. When Bart or Tide get sick and plant deposits around the house, I let them drink all the whole milk they want. Not the worthless 4% or nonfat junk they sell. The calcium in the milk seems to neutralize what ever is causing the problems. Tide is different from Bart. Tide likes to eat lots of grass when he gets sick. It gives him something to heave up. Bart doesn’t do that.

Here’s hoping Sandy Pooch is feeling better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
food chain

Paul,

Sick and dying poisoned rats and mice are easy targets for your pup. Sounds like Sandy may have eaten one. Parvo is always a possibility too. I haven't owned pets in years so I am not current on how effective protection is.

I pulled an all nighter with a pup with Parvo years ago. The vet was one of the best and really a good guy but all he could tell us back then was to give the puppy Pepto Bismal once an hour until it died! It was actually my sister and her children's pup and they were very upset when I came over. I looked over the situation and told my sister to fetch down some old stomach medicine with opiates in it. With no fear of killing the pup, I dosed it pretty heavily every hour. The pup was soon the happiest one in the house! Lived for years too.

Hu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Many a sick dog at this home

Paul, fix some rice and hambuger and feed it to her slow. All the vets I have done work with have told me the same thing. Keep plenty of water around. I hope all works out well ole friend.
Mike Murphy
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top